10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 6:07 PM by sascoflame

converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them

sascoflame Level 1

Apple converted the jpg files smart files and apple can't open them. So I bought a program to convert them back and that does nothing. It may work great but is says nothing. The is an outlet file some where but it doesn't say. Thing only get worse, It is a nightmare. how can I get mu pictures back I want to use them for a project. Non destructive my butt. Just let me get my pictures back.

• 1. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Apple converted the jpg files

If Apple converted your files, why are you asking in an Adobe forum?

Provide the name of the program you are using so a Moderator may move this message to the correct program forum

This Cloud forum is not about program problem help... a program would be Photoshop or Lighroom or Muse or ???

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
            sascoflame Level 1

Great point except I said it wrong.  It converted them when I indexed them with light room an moved them. Would or could light room do that?

• 3. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What converted what to what when you did what?  Please be more specific and detailed about the process you followed. 

And what are "smart pictures"?  Using correct terminology would help with others understanding of what you're trying to communicate so we can help sort things out.

In general LR is a non-destructive program so leaves the originals alone, other than moving them if you tell it to move them as part of the import, and if you have different files afterwards, then those would be copies of the originals. 

Are you talking about using the Aperture plug-in to convert Aperture pictures to LR?  Are you talking about Smart Objects in Photoshop?  You've said Apple twice in your initial post and light room in your second post.

• 4. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                areohbee Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

And what are "smart pictures"?

I'm guessing "smart previews".

PS - One of the things I've come to realize is that some people use Lr in a non-English language then try to communicate in the forum in English, so sometimes they simply don't know the correct English terminology.

But I agree, if possible, the correct terminology would be very helpful.

• 5. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                  areohbee Level 5

sascoflame wrote:

Non destructive my butt. Just let me get my pictures back.

Lightroom is only non-destructive if you use it correctly - it has the power to destroy things too..

To be clear, so far, nobody really has a clue what you are talking about - what you did, and what you mean..

So, make sure you pre-scrutinize before posting: don't say Apple if you mean Adobe, and use the actual names for the programs and/or plugins you used etc..

Help us help you by providing complete and unambiguous information.

• 6. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The English in the OP's posts seemed entirely correct to me, even seasoned with a colloquialism expressing frustration.  If they are using a non-English LR version, fine, but I don't see evidence of that in the posts, here, which are their only posts on the forums.  I had a thought that maybe they are using a tablet or phone that autocorrects to the wrong words.

• 7. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                      sascoflame Level 1

I talked to Apple.  I imported jpg files to light room and they changed then to .nar file extension which are Nikon fies. 

• 8. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                        areohbee Level 5

sascoflame,

In general, it might help to:

* review Lightroom tutorials

* if you have a problem that is repeatable, then make a video, or at least include screenshots along with a complete list of steps required to reproduce problem, including what you clicked, what you typed, what you saw..

PS - Nikon raw files generally have NEF or NRW extension - is 'NAR' a new format? or did you mean something else..

Lr won't change jpegs to any Nikon format file, so something else is going on - probably operator error/misunderstanding, but impossible to be sure without requisite info.

PPS - Not sure what the implications are of your conversation with Apple.

I'll probably not be trying to help any more, but I wish you good luck as you go..

Rob

• 9. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                          sascoflame Level 1

Adobe is not at fault.  I couldn't get back here to answer the question so answered it is on this forum under another question.  I had to find it on my own but then I got confirmation from my son in law. I told him the story and that I solved it by Googling nar.  He was way ahead of me. When I Googled nar I found they are a Nikon file extension. Someone asked on a windows forum how to open them. It should only happens with a windows operating system.  The answer is nar is the extension for Nikon zip files and all I had to do is change the extension from nar to zip and they opened no problem and became jpg (or maybe jpeg files.)  They did change when I imported my jpg files into lightroom.  But it was my smart phone that changed them. I have a  Nokia lumia 520.phone it uses nikon zip files to save space. Most of my files came from my Canon camera but some came from my Nokia lumia 520. When I imported them with Light Room my smartphone changed all my jpgs into nar compressed files.   Normally it only happens  with a windows based computer and a Nikon camera.  It is not supported to happen with a Mac but my phone is a windows phone and it may have been attached to my computer when I imported the files. In any case the phone was at fault. But I as my son in law said the pictures are a lot shaper now and they are all grouped together by date so I am much better off.

• 10. Re: converted all my pictures to smart pictures and I can't use them
                            sascoflame Level 1

I am glad is was able to get back. I owe you a reply and a thanks for trying to help. nar is a Nikon file extension for compressed files. All I had to do is change the extension to zip. It was my phone that change the files. See above. And thanks