3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 4:26 PM by station_two

Why is photoshop taking up so disc space over time when using?

danxekalel Level 1

Hi. I was just doing some basic stuff like masking and what not. and suddenly my system tells me i've used up all of my main drive's space (I had about 10GB free). I am curious as to what is taking up this space and how to I clear it. And also can i shift it to my other drive which has 700GB free.

• 1. Re: Why is photoshop taking up so disc space over time when using?
          Level 5

You mean you have a miserly 10 GB of available drive space on your boot drive?  ?? !

If that's what you're saying you are indeed in a heap of trouble!  Those 10 GB will have to be shared by both the swap files of the OS and Photoshop scratch files.  That is insane.  Whenever any hard drive gets to be over 80% full, you are already in trouble.

The rule of thumb I follow to figure out scratch space for Photoshop alone says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the Photoshop scratch file exceed 800 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed and I'll be increasing it to 32 GB by the end of this year.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 11.44.51 PM.png

Additionally, if you only have a single HD, i.e. your boot drive, you'd need it to be large enough to accommodate both the swap files of the OS as well as Photoshop's scratch.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is photoshop taking up so disc space over time when using?
            danxekalel Level 1

Wow I didn't know that it required that much.

Basically my main drive is my 128GB SSD (it's small i know, i'm saving up to get a 1tb SSD)

I have 2 other HD. WD Black 1TB and WD Green 2TB. Each has around 700GB free.

Will uninstalling photoshop and reinstalling in it the WD Black solve this issue?

Drive C is my SSD ( as you can see  I have like 1GB of space left...).

Oh and Is there a way to clear all the data from the scratch disks that is taking up these spaces? I'm new to photoshop so i'm not sure about much of these

• 3. Re: Why is photoshop taking up so disc space over time when using?
              Level 5

Leave Photoshop where it isAlways respect the default space.  Adobe applications really, really want to reside on your boot drive, where the OS also resides.

What you should do is UNCHECK (untick) your boot drive in the list of active scratch drives, and CHECK (tick) the other hard drive (your choice, as they have plenty of space available each).  Then use the u/down arrows to move up that CHECKED (ticked) drive to the #1 spot on the list.

See my screen shot above as an example.  Note that my boot drive (the equivalent of your C: drive) is labelled Mac Pro HD.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 11.44.51 PM.png

The cache is automatically and totally deleted when you exit (quit) Photoshop.