8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 9:32 PM by astrofun

Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop

astrofun Level 1

On some clips the default pan and zoom tool does a pan and zoom, but on other clips it does a crop and pan (without me changing anything).  I don't want the crop... I want it tpo zoom and pan all the time for this project.  I've right clicked everywhere I can think of and don't come up with a settings menu.  Is there a settings menu other than via the Applied Effect toggle (which doesn't have a setting I can see for this cropping issue).

Also, when I've created a sequence of focus frames, I can access the marker in the in the timeline to move the focus frame.  When I click on a marker it jumps the CTI to that spot, but doesn't allow me to grab the marker.  Is there a setting I'm missing, or is there another way to move the marker. 

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
          A.T. Romano Level 7

astrofun

Are you applying the pan and zoom effect to a still or video clip using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 (for now assumed Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit)?

Just in case references..

Pan and Zoom, Adobe Document, details mostly for Stills

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

Pan and Zoom, Using Pan and Zoom Tool, specifically for Video

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/08/pe12121-pan-and-zoom-tool-and-video-file.html

Alternative ways to create a pan and zoom effect in Premiere Elements

1. Keyframing the Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan), with Toggle Animation (Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded

2. Pan or Zoom Presets under fx Effects Tab/Presets.

Key question - applying Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool pan and zoom effect to video or still?

More comments based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
            astrofun Level 1

ATR,

Working with video with Premier 12.1 in Windows 7 Pro in 64-bit.  No problem getting to the tool and setting frames, its just that the frames behave differently on different clips (some zoom and some show a panning crop) and I don't see anything that causing it to do one or the other.

Something to add... the video was shot in 4K resolution (giant files) although that shouldn't matter (except when rendering) since Premier edits with proxy media.

Worked thru both of your hyperlinks and neither addresses the crop vs zoom issue.  Would appreciate any additional thoughts...

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
              astrofun Level 1

ATR, Working with video with Premier 12.1 in Windows 7 Pro in 64-bit.  No problem getting to the tool and setting frames, its just that the frames behave differently on different clips (some zoom and some show a panning crop) and I don't see anything that causing it to do one or the other. Something to add... the video was shot in 4K resolution (giant files) although that shouldn't matter (except when rendering) since Premier edits with proxy media. Worked thru both of your hyperlinks and neither addresses the crop vs zoom issue.  Would appreciate any additional thoughts...

Thanks

Bill Carberry

To: Bill Carberry <b_carberry@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 12:24 PM

Subject:  Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionastrofun Are you applying the pan and zoom effect to a still or video clip using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 (for now assumed Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit)? Just in case references....Pan and Zoom, Adobe Document, details mostly for StillsAdobe Premiere Elements Help

Pan and zoom to create video-like effect Pan and Zoom, Using Pan and Zoom Tool, specifically for Videohttp://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/08/pe12121-pan-and-zoom-tool-and-video-file.html Alternative ways to create a pan and zoom effect in Premiere Elements1. Keyframing the Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan), with Toggle Animation (Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded2. Pan or Zoom Presets under fx Effects Tab/Presets. Key question - applying Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool pan and zoom effect to video or still? More comments based on your reply. Thanks. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7037335#7037335 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7037335#7037335 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
                A.T. Romano Level 7

astrofun

I have not finished by testing on the issue that you present. I created an 4K video so that I would work through the details that you are presenting.

In spite of these  zoom and crop that you feel are occurring randomly and for which you seek an explanation, are you getting the wanted pan and zoom effects when the video returns to the Expert workspace Timeline from the Pan and Zoom workspace.

I am suspecting that this zoom and crop that you are seeing is solely in the Pan and Zoom workspace and are reflecting the mechanics of your establishment of the focus frames as you move the Timeline Indicator from the first focus frame  (first frame of the video) from left to right.

I will try to post some screenshots in the morning to show you were my thinking went on that.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
                  astrofun Level 1

See workflow below... Bill Carberry

To: Bill Carberry <b_carberry@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 9:53 PM

Subject:  Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionastrofun I have not finished by testing on the issue that you present. I created an 4K video so that I would work through the details that you are presenting. In spite of these  zoom and crop that you feel are occurring randomly and for which you seek an explanation, are you getting the wanted pan and zoom effects when the video returns to the Expert workspace Timeline from the Pan and Zoom workspace. I am suspecting that this zoom and crop that you are seeing is solely in the Pan and Zoom workspace and are reflecting the mechanics of your establishment of the focus frames as you move the Timeline Indicator from the first focus frame  (first frame of the video) from left to right.  Not exactly sure what you mean!  

- I highlight my clip, then open Pan and Zoom tool

- When opened, the tool has 2 focus frames marked... one at each end of the clip.  I am not able to grab the marker and move either of these on the timeline (or any subsequent time frames).  Once I create a frame its there... I can't mover it by the marker (as soon as I click on the marker the CTI comes to that spot, and I can't get to a menu or screen change when I click on the pan duration

- What I have been doing is deleting the default focus frame #2, moving my CTI to the place where I want a pan to stop, and inserting a new focus frame, then size and locate it on my image.

- Follow this exact procerdiure and on some clips I get a zoom with the whole frame filling the screen, and on some clips I get a crop with only part of the screen being filled.  

I will try to post some screenshots in the morning to show you were my thinking went on that. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7038598#7038598 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7038598#7038598 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
                    astrofun Level 1

I have resolved the issue.  ATR's last post validated that I was using the Pan and Zoom Tool correctly, but the issue apparently was the size of the 4T files.  I would make a pan/zoom on one clip and, even with rendering, the effect flow could not reset when the video scrolled to the next clip and there was carry-over.  I decided to see if encoding fixed any of the problem, and after setting pan/zoom effects is 4 clips I encoded the entire video and produced a DVD.  Voila, even though the panning and zooming was still not correct in playback on the timeline, the DVD looked just fine.  The problem is that once I do something and want to see the effect, the encoding of the 65 minute DVD takes about 10 hours... probably a function of my processor.

I notice the same impact on other effects in the timeline playback even after rendering, like the menu and chapter markings, PIP, etc.  You've got to go to full encoded DVD to see things move smoothly.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

astrofun

Thanks for the follow up. We are very pleased that you were able to obtain the effects that you wanted in the final product.

The bottom line is that you are moving on with your projects successfully. However, I am still a bit concerned about cause and effect.

a. Good end product results in spite of irregularities at the Timeline content - previewing level.

b. Difficulties inherent in applying the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool pan and zoom effect to video.

c. Use of 4K video in the process which might make one wonder about the computer resource aspects of the issue.

I have not had a chance to advance on my plans to look in depth at 4K video sizing in the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool workspace.

It is on my agenda. New Years resolution.

I will post again in your thread once I have looked into this further.

Not sure if I asked you this previously...but, if you apply the Pan and Zoom Tool pan and zoom effect to a 1920 x 1080 video source, do you run

into the same issues that you do when you use the 4K sizing, presumed 3640 x 2160?

Best wishes for the New Year and always

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 12 zoom vs crop
                        astrofun Level 1

I have not tried it with 1080 video.  I did this same project (a church X-Mas concert) last year with camera's that only shot 720p and the resolution for zooming was unsatisfactory.  That's why I rented the 4T cameras this year.  I will try shooting 1080p at my first opportunity and test it and get back to you.

Also wish you a happy new year.