3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2006 2:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problems Playing MPEG Files

RGB Level 1
      Problem:

I've created a Director movie that has a 4 minute MPEG movie file.

The Director movie with Xtras folder, the project, and the MPEG movie file have all been burned on a CD that autostarts.

I've played the CD on three WIndow computers with either Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The program runs fine with the MPEG movie playing very well.

Here's the problem: We just got a group of new computers. THe OS is Windows XP. The computers have Windows Media Player and Real Player loaded on them. And when I try to play the CD, the video will not play; only a blank screen appears.

I've made sure, at elast for Windows Media Player that the MPEG selection is checked for what file formats the Media Player will play. I couldn't find it for RealPlayer, but regardless, the MPEG movie will not play.

Any suggestions?

One other point: The extension on my MPEG files is .mpg whiile it appears in Windows Media Player that it wants to have .mpef files. Just wnat to know does this pose a problem.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Problems Playing MPEG Files
          Level 7
          What sort of sprites are you using to play the video? If you have
          imported those Mpgs as Quicktime, then the client machines will need
          Quicktime installed in order to play them.

If that isn't the problem, then see if your movies will play on those
          machines without using Director. Like, double-click the files and open
          them in the default application (probably Windows Media Player). If
          they don't display there, then the problem is most likely with the codec
          that was use to encode the movies.
          • 2. Re: Problems Playing MPEG Files
            RGB Level 1
            Thanks for your advice.

If I open the cd, I can play the mpg files using Windows Media Player and/or RealPlayer. So it doesn't seem if that's the problem.

But I did notice that when the mpg files are imported into Director, the files come into Director as QuickTime files, even though I know they were created using a Windows application. The thing is, I don't think QuickTime is loaded on the new computers I mentioned. So that might be the problem.

Still...I know Windows Media and RealPlayer can play the mpg file format. So I'm still not quite understanding (1) why the mpg files won't play and (2) why Director wants to import the files as QuickTime.
            • 3. Re: Problems Playing MPEG Files
              Level 7
              Quicktime is the default standard way that Director uses digital video.
              If you are using Director MX 2004, then you can import the video as
              Real Player instead. Either way requires software to be installed on
              the client machine before the video will play (either Quicktime or Real).

There are 3rd party xtras (notably Mpeg Advance) that will play video
              without needing to install anything. as long as your video is
              compressed using a standard codec that is already on the client machine.
              The best (or at least the most standard) is Mpeg-1. Any computer from
              Windows 95 onward (and all Macs in about as long a time) can play Mpeg-1
              files without needing to install anything else.

It sounds like your video was imported into Director as Quicktime, so
              the easiest solution is to make sure that Quicktime is installed on all
              client computers. You can do this by including the installer for
              Quicktime on your CD (you can download it from www.quicktime.com). You
              can use Director's built in quicktimeVersion() command to see what
              version if any is installed, and run that installer if you need to.

If installing Quicktime onto the client computers is not an option, then
              you will need to either re-import the videos as Real Video (assuming of
              course you are sure that Real is installed on the client machines) or go
              the 3rd party route. If you do that, I recommend Mpeg Advance, but there
              are others.