10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 3:11 PM by A.T. Romano

Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format

Crusader28

I recently completed about a 19 minute video project (photos and short video clips), and I was able to burn it to a DVD at standard quality using Premiere Elements 10.  When I try to burn to AVCHD, though, I get an error just before it's ready to start burning.  It encodes all of the media and just switches to the Burn menu when "Error" pops up.  There isn't any other explanation.  I've also tried to burn to a folder and I get the same result.

I've used Premiere Elements 10 for 4 years doing this same type of project, and I've been able to burn to AVCHD successfully in the past.  Any ideas why it's no longer working?

Computer specs:  Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop, i5 processor, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive w/ 770 GB free.

I appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
          Crusader28 Level 1

One more thing: I'm using Windows 8.1

• 2. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
            A.T. Romano Level 7

crusader28

Premiere Elements 10 Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit). Just to get it out of the way...what video card/graphics card does your computer use? If NVIDIA GeForce, please stop and let us know immediately.

Have you found that this issue is confined to this particular project with its particular Timeline content? Can you start a new project and get a successful

burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc with the same or other Timeline content?

Let us go through the drill of deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, then the hold 10.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited. The path to Folder Options starts with File Explorer in Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Depending on your answers, this issue may take us into a deeper look into the Timeline content construction. But, the answers will be in the details. Let

us see what they tell us.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
              Crusader28 Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply, A.T.  My graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.

I'll try a test project now and see if that burns to a DVD using the AVCHD format.  I'll let you know what happens.

• 4. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                Crusader28 Level 1

I completed a new project using some of the same files I used in my original project, and I was able to successfully burn it to DVD using the AVCHD format.  I used all of the same types of files for both projects (video: Sony HD camcorder, Canon point and shoot camera, Moto X phone and GoPro video; still photos: Canon, Moto X, GoPro screen shots).  The only difference was in the second project,the video was about 4 minutes, vs. 19 minutes for the first video.  When I create one of these projects, I put video clips and photos to music.  I used 4 songs in the first video, only one in the second.

Is the first video project too large?  It certainly isn't in terms of required memory - it's well under the 4.4 GB limit of a DVD.  Is it too many separate items in the project?  It has about 720 (most of which are photos, along with some video clips).

I then deleted the Premiere Elements Prefs file, then tried to burn the project.  It didn't work (got as far as Encoding the media again, as it had done in the past).  Next, I deleted the entire "10" subdirectory.  Also didn't work.  What does deleting that info do?  It recreates it again once the project is loaded (or run).  By the way, thanks for telling me to show the hidden files - I never would have found that subdirectory otherwise.

What should I try next?

• 5. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

crusader28

It is very late where I am so I need to think about this some more in the later morning.

For now...You said that you gained success with some of files from the problem project used in the new project.

How about us exploring adding on to that second project - until you essentially have a Timeline content that matches

the problem project?  See how far you can add before problems set in. I am wondering if one of your source media types

is creating a problem or if you are in some sort of a computer resource crunch.

Right now - I would go after trying to determine if we are dealing with a computer resource problem or corrupt file(s).

More later. Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 6. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                    Crusader28 Level 1

Hi, A.T.-

Yes, that's what I had been working on next.  I added another 4 minutes or so of video clips and photos (another song) to my test project, making sure I included every file type I had used in my original project.  Also, I'm only using songs, videos and photos that I've used in the problem project.  I haven't used all of the files in the test project that I used in the problem project, but a good sample of them.  I then burned this new test project to an AVCHD DVD, and it worked fine.

I've also tried systematically reducing the size of my original project that won't burn to AVCHD.  That project has 4 songs with the corresponding video clips / photos.  I first deleted the last song and its video/photo content (so it then contained 3 songs of material), tried to burn to AVCHD and it didn't work.  I then deleted another song and the video / photos to get it down to 2 songs of material.  That also didn't work.  Just now, I deleted a 3rd song to get down to 1 song and about 3-1/2 minutes of material.  That also wouldn't burn to AVCHD.

The odd thing is that if I burn to the standard DVD format (not AVCHD), the whole project works fine.  It seems like that would indicate I don't have a corrupt file, unless there's one file in particular that can't mesh with the AVCHD format.

Thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                      Crusader28 Level 1

One more thing: it doesn't seem to me to be a computer resource problem.  I initially reduced the size of the original project to see if that could be a problem, but as you can see, my test project is now larger than my scaled-down problem project, and the test is burning fine.  Also, my computer is brand new, with pretty good specs. As I previously mentioned, it has 12GB of RAM, an i5 processor and 770GB of available space on the hard drive.  The Premiere Elements program runs fine.  In past years, I've used Premiere on a laptop with 4 GB of RAM, and that computer handled 4-song video projects just fine.

Or, is there something else specific you're referring to as a possible computer resource problem?

• 8. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Crusader28

Thanks for the follow ups.

I do not think we explored -

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray and are in the Quality area of the burn dialog for Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc, what is the Space Required and Bitrate readings with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

Can I assume that all the work so far has been to DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes or Burn To: Folder (4.7 GB)? That brings up the point, have your Burn To: all been to disc? Any to Burn To: Folder (4.7 GB)?

ATR

• 9. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                          Crusader28 Level 1

A.T. - I finally figured it out.  After I had deleted 3 of the 4 songs and their respective video clips / photos in the problem project, I took a closer look at the media left with the one remaining song to see if there was anything unique about it.  As I mentioned earlier, I had included all of the various file types from the problem project in the test project, and the test project had burned successfully to AVCHD.  After scouring what remained of my files, I found one photo that I had used the "Line Drawing" effect on (Edit - Effects - Line Drawing).  I decided to delete the effect to see what would happen.  Once I did that, I was able to burn that new test project (only 1 song's worth of media) to an AVCHD DVD.  I then made the same change to my full project and then it worked.

Extremely frustrating, but I'm very glad I found the culprit.  I should note I've used a couple of the photo / video effects successfully in past projects, but never this "Line Drawing" one before.  I would caution anyone against using it now!

To answer one of your recent questions, I wasn't able to burn to a folder when I was having this problem either (4.7 GB).

Thanks again for your help.  I really appreciate that people are available to help troubleshoot problems like this.

Happy Holidays!

• 10. Re: Trouble burning a DVD using AVCHD format
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Crusader28

Really wonderful news. Congratulations on targeting the core of the issue. Great job. Surprising outcome but good to know that it was Line Drawing effect that was involved. We will watch out for that moving forward.

Best wishes for the holidays and new year and always.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification.

ATR