11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 5:49 AM by busteroo123

deleting unused PMS color

busteroo123

I  can't seem to get rid of a PMS color. I've tried exporting the document to IDML and opening it, selecting all Unused colors and deleting, going through all of the styles to make sure it's not in there, checking all imported graphics to make sure it's not in there— nothing gets rid of the PMS color.

• 1. Re: deleting unused PMS color
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The easiest way to find it might be to define a new Preflight profile that prohibits spot colors. That should provide a link to where it is.

• 2. Re: deleting unused PMS color
            busteroo123 Level 1

Hi Peter,

would you mind giving me a step-by-step as to how to do this? I currently have two PMS colors in the doc, want to get rid of the third one.

Thank you!

Eve

• 3. Re: deleting unused PMS color

If you open the Preflight panel and click to open the panel flyout menu you'll see Define Profiles... You have to add a new profile to make any edits, then under Color Spaces and Modes Not allowed you can check the box for Spot colors.

The problem her is that the two colors you do want will now trigger an error as well, so it might be faster to open the Separations Preview panel, turn on Separations, and uncheck all the colors except the one you want to remove. As you scroll through the doc, all pages should be blank, and ay object still visible will be using the spot color you want to remove. You can either delete the object, or if you can see that it should be another color you can open the Ink Manger from the Swatches panel menu and alias the spot you don't want to a color you do.

• 4. Re: deleting unused PMS color
                busteroo123 Level 1

HI Peter,

I did as you suggest at the bottom, and there was NOTHING in the document that had that PMS color in it. the document was completely blank once I turned off the two PMS colors that I DO want.

So I still can’t figure out where it’s coming from.

Very mysterious.

Eve

• 5. Re: deleting unused PMS color

Not in an unused style (including an object style), perhaps?

• 6. Re: deleting unused PMS color

And zoom out so you can see the whole pasteboard. Might be out on the edge someplace.

• 7. Re: deleting unused PMS color
                      busteroo123 Level 1

No. Not there. This color is not in the document ANYWHERE. The only thing I can think is, as long as it’s not there I shouldn’t worry about i printing. There won’t be a separate plate for this color, if it isn’t used, right?

• 8. Re: deleting unused PMS color
                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Also look on any and all Master Pages. Some object or objects using that PMS color may be lurking there!

Generally, problems eliminating spot color swatches has to do with content placed in an InDesign document, either in PDF or EPS format. Since those objects cannot be edited in InDesign, any spot colors in them cannot be simply deleted from the swatches panel.

- Dov

• 9. Re: deleting unused PMS color
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Hi,

could you inform us, on which version of InDesign you are using?

With which version was this document created initially?

I ask, because I remember an issue, but very long ago, which did not allow to delete spot colors, even if the document was empty. But this should not be an issue with versions later than CS3.

If the spot color was imported by some kind of EPS or PDF files, you are not able to delete it in the document, nor to do so in the EPS or PDF file unless you have Illustrator and these files were created in Illustrator. (Or you have Freehand and these files were created in Freehand, same with other drawing applications.) Opening these kind in a different editor might cause damage.

In these circumstances you could use the ink manager (you find it in the Swatch Panel Menu) and target the spot colors, all or some selected, to process color or to a different spot color.

• 10. Re: deleting unused PMS color
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No. Not there. This color is not in the document ANYWHERE.

Can you share the document via Dropbox or some other service—no need to include links or fonts

• 11. Re: deleting unused PMS color
                              busteroo123 Level 1

HI,

I found a solution on line, and it’s crazy, but it works. I created a block of color in Illustrator that was the same PMS color that I couldn’t get rid of in Indesign. I then imported the .ai file into Indesign, and then deleted it. Then magically, I was able to go into the swatches panel and select that swatch and delete it. For some reason, that un-stuck it.

I found this solution here:

http://www.justskins.com/forums/can-t-remove-spot-16063.html

See what one person said.

One little trick that works is to place in an image such as an eps file with the rogue spot colour in it. Then delete it. You should now be able to delete the spot colour.