0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 4:06 PM by Brett Delmage

What's broken in Premiere Pro CC2014.2

Brett Delmage Level 1

I just upgraded to CC2014.2.  And without much delay I see that the overlay Markers field is damn-near completely illegible. It is transparent on orange as before but of such low contrast it is unreadable. It gives me eyestrain just to look at it! I asked me colleague here to look at it, and she immediately took her glasses off while trying to focus on it. And why does it have to be displayed differently from the other overlay fields anyway? To be clearly other overlay fields like timecode are still very legible.

This is a brand new disappointing software defect. That functionality was very useful for me to tell which clip I was at on my current project. Now it is useless. And no, I will not waste my time filing a defect report. Damned if I am going to do Adobe's basic testing work for them for what they are charging me every month for this software. While in itself, this product defect is not a work-stopper but just a work-slower , it certainly raises my concern about what is about to bite next, like the MXF / red frames mess made our lives miserable the past few months. I see already that others have raised more serious defects. I worry about my use of Adobe Premiere Pro.

While I was happy to see a .2 fix to correct fundamentally broken software (I have been screwed by the MXF red-frame defect as have many of you and am really hoping this disaster is behind us)  it seems that Adobe is not actually fixing software defects. Too often Adobe is just changing defects from version to version.

I have been screwed by the MXF red-frame defect as have many, many of you. So while I was happy to see a .2 fix to correct such fundamentally broken software it seems that Adobe is not actually fixing software defects. Adobe seems to be just changing defects from version to version. Their codebase or software development process must really suck.

In the meantime I hope that we can expect a .3 release with more, real fixes and no new regressions Real Soon Now - just like Adobe promised us CC would deliver frequent releases.

And to echo the concerns of others, I too want to see ongoing defect-fix only releases without new features in a different installable stream just like a ton of other mission-critical software out there. Fixing defects without introducing new ones seems enough of a challenge for Adobe at this time.

This might be a user-to-user forum according to Adobe. But it's clear to me from the past year that we need to stand together collectively as users and really demand a product that works reliably.  I believe that is the best way we we can help fellow users and ourselves. This Premiere Pro forum is filled, not with users asking how to accomplish a task or questions about usage, but rather, report after report of defect after defect, desperate for workarounds so they can get their job done. I have never seen this forum in such a sorry state as it has been since CC was inflicted upon us.

I wonder if our efforts to help other users and ourselves wouldn't be best served by  getting out of this forum and telling other users in other forums to avoid PP CC until Adobe gets its act together.

I would like to request the Premiere Pro product manager show up here for a discussion / Q&A and be accountable to those of us who are paying the monthly rent and his salary and explain how this situation is going to improve.

In the meantime I hope that we can expect a 2014.3 release with more, real fixes and no new regressions Real Soon Now, just like Adobe promised us CC would deliver in its rapid-release cycle.

All this said, my thanks to the Adobe staff who have to attend this forum in this situation to do what they can, and manage to do so within their limited ability. The best of the season to you.

Brett