9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 1:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working

Nowconfused

Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Nowconfused

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 installed?

Are you getting any error messages when you cannot import these .mov files into your Premiere Elements 13 project? If so, what do they state specifically?

What are the properties of these files with .mov file extensions? What is the brand/model/settings of the camera

that recorded the video?

In spite of the fact that you say the QuickTime is installed and working, please confirm that if you go to Publish+Share/Computer/

QuickTime, you see Presets for the QuickTime source?

Are you running the Premiere Elements and QuickTime from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
            Nowconfused Level 1

Hi ATR

Windows Professional 7

Error message "The importer recorded a genetic error"

Camcorder Panasonic HC-V110

File type - Quick Time Movie (MOV.) Opens on PC with Quick Time or VLC and works perfectly.

Preset source active for Quick Time in Publish/Share.

Premiere Elements 13 was purchased on-line and I have Administrative privileges.

I have previously imported MOV. files from this camcorder to PE13 in the past, but am now receiving the error message.

Please advise and thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
              Nowconfused Level 1

Hi ATR - My apologies. The camera I am using for MOV. files is a Navman MiVue 358 car camera. Files were imported previously OK.

Also - Windows 7 Professional is 64 bit.

Cheers

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Nowconfused

I tried to get background information on the video from your camera but all I could find so far is that the camera is probably recording

1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 or 30 progressive frames per second. What are you (manually) or the program (automatically) setting as the project

preset to match the properties of your video source. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.

How are you importing the files into the Premiere Elements 13 project - with the Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from a computer

hard drive location or are you making a USB connection between the camera and computer/Premiere Elements 13 and using Add Media/Video ..../Video Importer? Could you possibly have changed the way you are importing the files into a project?

Would it be possible for you to send a small sample of one of these .mov files that will no longer import? Maybe in a Dropbox link that you include in a reply?

Do you have any of the older files still available - the ones that did import at one time? If so, will they still import into a project or do they now not import?

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
                  Nowconfused Level 1

Hi ATR

I am not that computer literate when it comes to these things. A mate of mine came over and looked at your requests. The only reference to Quicktime in Publish/Share is in "Use for email and playback on Mac". There is no reference to Quicktime in the Presets drop-down which starts with NTSC - MPEG - NTSC etc.

Importing files through Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from a computer hard drive location.

Can send you a sample is you advise me how to do that through a "dropbox".

Older files that once imported do not import now.

Cheers

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
                    Nowconfused Level 1

Hi ATR

Project settings:- Editing mode HD1080i (greyed)

Timebase 25 fps (greyed)

Frame size 1920 / 1080

Pixel aspect ratio - Square pixel (1.0) (greyed)

Fields - Upper field first (greyed)

Display format - 25fps

Title safe area 10 - % horizontal 20 % vertical

Action safe area 10 % horizontal 10 % vertical

Cheers

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Nowconfused

Major news is that older files that once imported do not import now. So, we can back off questions on the properties of source media at this time and focus

on the computer environment.

When you get to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, do you see the following list of choices from the drop down list for Presets?

QuickTimePresets.jpg

I can open Dropbox links but I have never set a file using Dropbox. Please reply to the above. I will see if I can find

how to instructions for using Dropbox. Essentially you will be creating a link for your file using Dropbox and then

posting that link in your reply in the thread.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
                        Nowconfused Level 1

Hi ATR

Problem solved...... I had a new computer built several weeks ago, and the guy installed VLC media player to view video. When I view MOV. files on my PC it tells me that it is viewing in Quicktime, but apparently VLC use a back door to view those files in that format. Long story short, I downloaded  the latest version of Quicktime ant now I can import MOV. files into PE13.

Thanks a heap for your trouble and I hope that this answer may help others with the same problem, as it appears there are many looking at Google.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 has stopped importing MOV. files. Quicktime is installed and working
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Now

Great, great news.

All the symptoms were pointing to the requirement for QuickTime latest version install, so I am very pleased that you worked through that detail to get to your success. Great job of follow up which will be appreciated by all.

Hope your Christmas and New Year are filled with all the best.

ATR