4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 10:40 AM by Peru Bob

VHS to DVD burning issues

Meat Powder

Hello, first time poster here.

I'm working on converting some old VHS home videos to DVD. I bought a capture device and captured everything fine using the free software that came with it. Most of the videos were a little over 2 hrs in length and the captures came to about 6GB each. I used Premiere CS5 to edit them down to under 2 hours and exported them. The end result was about 2.5GB. When I burn them to dvd the quality is unusable. I've used Encore as well as Windows DVD maker, and iDVD. Could it be a capacity issue even though the DVDs I'm using are 4.7GB 120 min and and my files are smaller then 4.7 and shorter then 120min? Or possibly as exporting issue? I've tried exporting as different file types including MP4, MOV, and AVI. I've also used a couple different DVD burners and played back on different DVD players with the same issue. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. I've burned many projects from Premiere using Encore and never had an issue. Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Vic

• 1. Re: VHS to DVD burning issues
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For DVD, you simply need to use the DVD MPEG-2 export settings which result in two files ... take those into Encore and have it put together the DVD & encode for it. Try different settings on the bit-rate aims and such.

Now ... a couple questions. When watched full-screen on your computer, how do those captured files look straight out of the device? Some "capture devices" do a good job, and some ... not so much. If that isn't giving you the best quality you can't really recover anything farther down the 'chain'.

Next ... giving us the info on the capture data, getting info on frame-size/bit-rate and such would give some basis for further speculation. Also ... a screen grab of the export settings from PrPro/AME that you used would be dandy.

Neil

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VHS to DVD burning issues
            cc_merchant Level 4

The problems start with the source material and the capture device. The normal workflow is to convert the analog VHS material to DV AVI by means of for instance a Grass Valley ADVC-110 or similar. That will result in a file with a size of around 13 GB/hour and decent quality.

Your workflow results in 6 GB for two hours, where 26 GB would be normal. The conclusion is simply that your source material does not have decent quality. Converting bad quality source material to highly compressed MPEG2-DVD loses even more quality and the result is GIGA, Garbage in, garbage out.

• 3. Re: VHS to DVD burning issues
              Meat Powder Level 1

It sounds like I put garbage in

When watching it on screen during capture and editing it looked ok. Not great, but I didn't assume that 20 year old VHS tapes would be very good. However I didn't watch them straight to a TV without the capture device for a comparison. I will try exporting as MPEG2 and see how that fairs. But even my exports from Premiere still look fairly similar to the raw captures. Why would it degrade so much while burning?

I definitely did not use an ADVC-110 I used something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=756983&gclid=COWake253MICFcayMgodSR 0AmA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I don't have screen shots of the settings available (I'm at work right now) but I know I usually use h.264. I've never tried MPEG2. I don't think this capture device has many options to configure, however I didn't really look. I don't mind recapturing if that will do it right. Is there anything else I should try before dropping that kind of cash on an ADVC-110?

• 4. Re: VHS to DVD burning issues
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The cable you are using and its supplied software is probably why you are experiencing so much quality loss.  the Grass Valley unit should help.

I've had good results with the ADVC-110.