4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 8:41 AM by mbenton88

Indesign File Formats

mbenton88

Hello;

I am kind of new to Adobe products and the lovely world of digital publishing all together.  I am trying to create a catalog, I downloaded a template and a few formats were included.  I don't know what the difference between INDT, IDML and INDD file formats are.  I searched the web looking for answers and I couldn't find a straight forward short answer that explains the difference and what each of them should be used for.

if someone could please help me and explain what each one should be used for, I would appreciate it.

I thank you in advance for the help!

• 1. Re: Indesign File Formats
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

INDD is the standard InDesign format

INDT is an InDesign template

IDML is InDesign Markup Language -- used to save documents that can be opened in (some) older versions of InDesign.

• 2. Re: Indesign File Formats
            mbenton88 Level 1

Thank you!

So basically I would create the whole layout and export out as a INDT for my template?  then I would start altering and finishing up the current design and when finished, I save out as the standard INDD format?  also, if I were to send my design to  to a print service, I can use the Packaging tool and everything should be available for them?

I really appreciate your help on this!

• 3. Re: Indesign File Formats
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I think you’re diving into the deep end without learning how to swim. This is not at all likely to end well unless you get some knowledge under your belt.

Two things I recommend. First is Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide. This is a must have book: http://amzn.to/14JHq54

Second is some quality time on lynda.com. If you don’t already have a subscription, this link will get you a 10-day trial: http://bit.ly/1xHYd0i

• 4. Re: Indesign File Formats
                mbenton88 Level 1

I think you may be right!

I have spent countless hours making single page brochures for the company I work for so I understand most of the tools.  Now I have been asked to make a catalog and it seems a lot more in depth to get it right the first time.

I will invest in the book, it does seem like it would be very beneficial.  I really appreciate it!