4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 11:51 AM by Kevin B Good

Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1 and MIDI controlers

JoelTC

Hi,

I am looking for a plug-in or other option with what I can use for example the Novation Nocturn in the develop module in LR.

But for Windows there is probably no solution aviable There is "Paddy", but that is outdated and not working..

Actually I dont undersand, why there is no native support for MIDI controllers, the potential  is huge, just turn knobs and edit the image..

Any ideas or solutions? Or at least a explanation why this is not possible..

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1 and MIDI controlers
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom has extensive keyboard shortcuts but it wouldn't make sense to map external hardware. There are too many sliders, with no obvious candidates for 'most used', and half of the time they're changing in response to code (presets, sync, etc) so the hardware would need to be driven both ways. When you select the adjustment brush a whole new set of sliders appear, which in turn collapse to yet another when the panel's twirled to the 'amount' mode. Keeping track of which knob did what would be a nightmare.

For audio (Audition) and coloring (Speedgrade) there are well-established hardware interfaces because of the way those tools are used. Three wheels on a grading table, three wheels in Speedgrade. I've never heard of someone editing photos on an audio mixing desk.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1 and MIDI controlers
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Dave Merchant wrote:

I've never heard of someone editing photos on an audio mixing desk.

And - you have to ask - what benefits would come from being able to do so (or otherwise controlling via Midi)?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1 and MIDI controlers
              JoelTC Level 1

Keith_Reeder napsal(a):

Dave Merchant wrote:

I've never heard of someone editing photos on an audio mixing desk.

And - you have to ask - what benefits would come from being able to do so (or otherwise controlling via Midi)?

Fast editing, controlling more sliders at once, using the mouse or tablet just for brush work or cropping, the rest with sliders or knobs(the better choice), you could look the most time just on the image and the changes, and have no need to look on the sliders.

And just that physically feeling..

Oh and actually like I wrote, solutions are existing, but mostly for Mac(Knobroom,PFixer), and it makes sense..the mapping under Paddy is pretty nice, an example image of a list is here. And you can set the functions for more "pages" on the controller, that means you can set really tons of settings. But Paddy "works" for LR 5.2 in a beta version.. You can find Youtube videos, mostly for the Mac plug-ins

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1 and MIDI controlers
                Kevin B Good Level 1

It's possible on Mac and seems cheap and wise. Sure you can't control everything. But you can assign knobs to what you control most. Then 90% of the time you're not fiddling with a mouse.

Using Adobe Lightroom with Knobroom and MIDI Control Surfaces - YouTube