3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 7:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 13 seems very unstable

CML400

I just upgraded to Elements 13 from a significantly older version, because I got a new camera and the old version of Elements didn't support AVCHD.

I was able to successfully burn one project to DVD, but subsequent projects are resulting in "program stopped working" errors and even blue screens of the machine. Unfortunately, the errors and crashes appear in various situations so I have not been able to identify a pattern. I have seen them while it is attempting to encode media, while opening an existing menu marker to edit it, while adding media to a project, and at various other times. So far (after 2 days of trying), these issues have caused me to be unable to finish any additional projects.

I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) with Service Pack 1 and 8GB of RAM. I ran full system maintenance today including a full chkdsk - it did find and remove some corruption (cause or effect?). After it finished, I started fresh within Elements and it quickly resulted in another blue screen.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Elements 13 seems very unstable
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some of this is about Premiere Pro, not Elements, but a blue screen is usually a hardware problem

BSOD shutdowns http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1427408?tstart=0

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/01/13/computer-shuts-down-with-premiere-pro-or-af ter-effects/

• 2. Re: Elements 13 seems very unstable
            CML400 Level 1

Thanks for the reply John.

I would tend to agree that blue screens many times result from hardware issues but, in this case, they are only occurring when Elements 13 is running. As a result, it appears to be initiated by something Elements is doing and is completely unique to this software package. In addition, hardware issues don't necessarily explain the "program stopped working" errors appearing with regularity during a variety of operations.

Are you aware of any updates for Elements 13 that I may be missing? I am wondering if there may be patches for this version that may provide improved stability.

• 3. Re: Elements 13 seems very unstable
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CML400

Today I installed Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit and have found it to be very stable.

Since the problems seem to be presenting randomly in your workflow, let us explore some considerations....some you may have already

been there and done that, but I include them all just in case

a. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall (s) disabled?

b. Are you working with a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

c. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

d. Is the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

e. If any of the happening occurred in the Publish+Share/ phase of the program, have you explore

the tasks there with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher disabled in Edit Menu/Preference/General?

f. You might want to try a free ccleaner run through to get rid of any left overs from incomplete installs or uninstalls (that typically works

well in between an uninstall and reinstall with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

g. Did you install the program to the default Local Disk C location?

h. Where are the Scratch Disk directed and how much free space is at the locations? See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

We could go after the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that did not work, the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements

Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

User

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, if that does not work, you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Are you getting any display card error messages. What does the Device Manager/Display Adapters show for video card/graphics card? Do you have more than 1 card?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next if the problem persists.

There are no updates (as of this date) to Premiere Elements 13. These days all that you will be updating with Help Menu/Update is Camera Raw. We are not Adobe so we have no insider information on what Adobe plans in the way of patches for the program.

ATR