5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2014 2:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems with the Crop/Matte effects when creating clone videos

SteveTokariuk

When ever I use the Crop/Matte effect to merge two different videos of myself, one of the clips starts with normal lighting but gradually gets brighter and brighter until its blatantly obvious line where the two clips are separated. This ruins the magic behind the effect for me and I was wondering if there was a way to fix this.

• 1. Re: Problems with the Crop/Matte effects when creating clone videos
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stevetokariuk

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is this "Crop/Matte effect" that you say that you are using to merge two different videos of myself?

Please elaborate on "Crop/Matte"....is that one of the garbage mattes that you are applying to the clip(s) or does it involves the Crop Effect as well as

the Track Matte Key Effect? Is a Edge Feather Effect involved in any of this?

Further description of your workflow would be helpful. Right now I am assuming that you have some sort of picture in picture effect and there is an unwanted distinction between the background and the picture insert.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems with the Crop/Matte effects when creating clone videos
            SteveTokariuk Level 1

I am using adobe premiere elements 9, and the crop and 4/16 point garbage matte effects are separate but both produce the same effect. I use them on videos with me interacting with myself, so I usually have half the screen playing one video and the other half playing the other video simultaneously. Now both videos are shot inside with consistent lighting but when I add them together in the program, one of the videos starts with slightly dimmer lighting than the original and over the course of the scene becomes gradually brighter and brighter. So yes there is an obvious distinction between the two shots.

I only use one of these effects in the scene and nothing else

Thank you for the response

Steve

• 3. Re: Problems with the Crop/Matte effects when creating clone videos
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveTokariuk

Can the difference in lighting be noticed when the files are played on a computer player independent of Premiere Elements project?

Have you tried to apply the Brightness and Contrast Effect to one or the other and then keyframe the Brightness to come as close as possible

to that of the other during the course of the playback?

Is this happening for all your recordings and subsequent video editing in Premiere Elements or is this happening for one set of videos in one Premiere Elements project?

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems with the Crop/Matte effects when creating clone videos
                SteveTokariuk Level 1

I've tried on many different separate trials and all turn out the same. If I use the lighting effect I have to go frame by frame because it gradually changes. On the computer they look fine but on the program they change.

Steve

• 5. Re: Problems with the Crop/Matte effects when creating clone videos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Are you looking at the rendered or unrendered Timeline when you observe the differences in lighting between the 2 views in this split screen?

For troubleshooting purposes, if you use the same file for both sides of the split screen, do you see lighting changes in one versus the other as

the split screen plays back in the Edit area monitor?

ATR