I don't see that problem with Arno Pro OTF. Are you able to post a sample ePub using dropbox.com or similar and post the link here? That way we can test it.
Edit: upon further testing I can see the problem when opening the ePub on Calibre. No problem with Sigil though.
Edit 2: testing on ID CS6 there's no problem with Calibre. I guess ID CC is adding something to the CSS that makes Calibre internal viewer display all letters oblique.
Thank you for your feedback.
It isn't the CSS -- it's definitely the font files. I tried replacing some open source fonts with Arno Pro in an existing ebook (replaced using Sigil, no InDesign used at all) and all text then displays as oblique. As such, I suppose this is the wrong forum!
You are not alone - I have the exact same problem. I haven't been able to find anything in the CSS, but I'm no good at CSS....
It shows up fine with no obligue in iBooks on iPad though...
Arno Pro converts to epub just fine in CS6, so it seems it could be the way ID CC handles the conversion.
I can't figure out what is wrong though.
Also DejaVu Sans converts wrong in CS6 but Works fine in ID CC and since have to use both fonts I'm stuck with no working conversion utility.
There is a lot to do for the ID developers.....
Deja Vu Sans (version 2.34) works in CS6. What version do you have?
Yes, DejaVu Sans works fine in ID, but it won't convert correctly to epub in CS6 only in CC. Some special characters in unicode that I need is in that font and they don't show on my iPad. They do show on Calibre.
Try using Adobe World-Ready Single-line Composer. I can see it with no problem on iBooks.
Thanks, but still no luck. I might just have to Work in ID CC and then use another font than Arno Pro. It is just such a nice font......
If you find a solution to get rid of the obligue please let me know.
"It isn't the CSS -- it's definitely the font files."
But why does it not convert to oblique in CS6?
There must be something in the way ID handles the epub-export in the two different ID versions.
Also, it doesn't show up with oblique in iBooks. It is odd....
The Adobe engineers who work on EPUB in InDesign often provide insight on issues like this. Unfortunately, you have asked this question in the middle of the two week holiday for Adobe employees which ends about 4 January.
I should add that when I tried previewing in ADE the fonts did not show up as oblique, but the embedded font did not show up at all.
I replaced Arno Pro with an open source font family and the embedded fonts displayed normally in Sigil, Calibre, and ADE.
It has occurred to me that it might not be the font files if my own computer is doing something to the font files when embedding or displaying them, but I've encountered similar problems on various Mac and Windows machines.
Here's another piece of information to add to the puzzle. The first screenshot is from Calibre on an PC with Windows 8.1 (using Google Chrome as default search engine). The second is from Calibre on a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.1 (using Safari 8.0.2 as default search engine). Both with the same ePub file created on CC2014 on the Mac using Arno Pro for the Latin text, Adobe Song for Chinese, and Deja Vu Sans for the Hexagram
I'm just wondering if anyone on the Adobe team might be able to contribute to this discussion? I still haven't found a solution.
Important to answer is:
- Version of InDesign?
- Standard of EPUB?
- Did you work with Paragraph and Character Style with tags taking care?
I'm not sure if this reply is for me (I'm the OP), but I've been using the most up-to-date version of InDesign (CC 2014.1) and exporting EPUB 2.0.1 in this instance.
I am very careful to use Character and Paragraph styles, and I always make sure to set up Export Tagging. Plus I make sure to clear all overrides before I export to EPUB 2.
I just had a similar thing happen upon export from InDesign with an open source typeface, where all instances of the bold version display as oblique in Sigil and Calibre. The typeface doesn't load at all in ADE. I mention this because it is clearly not just an issue with Adobe fonts as I thought in the original post.
Is there anything I should be looking for? Maybe the order of entries in my CSS?
When you do the export tags do you take care that no 2 styles have the same export tags? If you have several similar export tags you can click the option to omit in specific styles, so the export style of the other one is used in the CSS.
Can you show us a screen shot WITH NON PRINTING symbols turned on of the problematic text and the text editing mode window.
I'm sorry I'm late.
Today I had the same issue; I read carefully all the answers and I eventually was able to fix it.
I don't know if it works with all fonts, but I solved with a little trick.
1) rename you .epub in a .zip;
2) open the .zip;
3) go to the font folder;
4) overwrite the existing fonts (the ones InDesign included, those that are not behaving) with the same fonts, taken from a safe source;
5) close the .zip;
6) rename the .zip back to the .epub format;
It worked for me, the .epub now looks right both with Calibre and Sigil. It's peculiar that Sigil showed it correctly even with the broken fonts, as long as I didn't modify the file or used it in other programs.
I think there is an issue with the embedding done by InDesign, not with the fonts. I hope it's not something Adobe wanted to happen with it's own fonts.