20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 5:41 AM by Renetta_san

Why does embedding Adobe fonts in EPUB cause all text to display as oblique?

allenzuk

I have been having this problem for a while now to various degrees, and I stopped using InDesign to build and export EPUB files for a long time because of it. Lately I have decided to try reintroducing InDesign into my EPUB workflow. However, I have found that whenever I try to export an EPUB 2 file from InDesign CC 2014.1 while embedding Adobe fonts, all the text in the EPUB displays as oblique when I open the resulting file in Sigil or Calibre. Removing and then re-adding the fonts with no obfuscation does not correct the issue. Not embedding the fonts during export -- or removing them from the EPUB entirely -- eliminates the display problem, but obviously I can't expect people to have these fonts installed on their computers.

I do believe most Adobe font licenses allow for embedding, so I don't think this is a security issue. For the sake of this discussion the issue I am having is with Arno Pro OTF (Regular, Italic, Bold).

I can't find anything about this on the web. Can anyone help me with this issue, or has anyone else experienced this at least?

Thanks!

Allen