5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2014 2:11 PM by Freeze73

PremierePro PC 8.2.0 (65) replace footage causes error "The importer reported a generic error"

Freeze73

Hi there

I tried everything multiple PC's and windows installs, goggled every support site available for answers to no avail so far.

The following is tested on a brand new and untampered win8 install (all win8 updates included)

Trail and fully updated versions of Premier Pro 8.2.0 (65) and AE 13.2.0.49 are the only two programs installed on to the PC.

The problem.

1. Create a new project in Premiere Pro
      2. I make a single sequence
      3. Add a single Black video item to the sequence
      4. Now pick the black video item in the Premiere project Bin area, right click it and choose  "Replace footage"
      5. Then the browser opens and I pick a After effect project file (.aep) that I prepared earlier.(the most simple AE project file I can make, consisting of a single Comp with a shape drawing in it)
      6. When I click the Select button to confirm my choice of .aep file a window immediately opens that says "The importer reported a generic error".
      7. Next I am back in the PP bin and the black video item has turned "off line".

This option / featured executed in the 100% similar way works as expected without errors in an old CC6 setup.

Please help as the this is an very useful feature that needs to be fixed/work.

Thank you

============================================

Duplicate post removed by moderator. Please do not double post. If a thread has not received a reply after a reasonable period, feel free to "bump" it.

• 1. Re: PremierePro PC 8.2.0 (65) replace footage causes error "The importer reported a generic error"
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Was the AE project saved in 13.2? I know you report that you have only AE13.2 and PPro 8.2 installed on this computer, but it's not clear whether you created the AE comp you're importing in that version or an earlier release.

Also, have you tried importing the comp and then using the Replace with Clip feature?

In case your search didn't hit upon these threads, perhaps one will hold a clue:

• 2. Re: PremierePro PC 8.2.0 (65) replace footage causes error "The importer reported a generic error"
            Freeze73 Level 1

First, thank you for answering : )

Yes, the simple test AE file is made in the latest AE updated version I could install (13.2.0.49).

Everything is as default as possible. My windows set up is win8 English language, Danish keyboard.

The Adobe installs (PP / AE) are both installed in English.

To answer your second question.

Every other way of linking to AE works as expected as far as I know. I am able to pick a clip on the timeline and right click it and choose "Replace with AE comp". Here AE opens up and in a ready made comp, and everything I put in the linked AE comp is shown in PP.

The problem is only related to the ability to replace a entire source from the bin with a AE comp.

This is a very crucial feature which used to work in e.g. CC6.

Any help, or just confirmation of the problem exist will be much appreciated. Thank you.

• 3. Re: PremierePro PC 8.2.0 (65) replace footage causes error "The importer reported a generic error"
              Freeze73 Level 1

Oh, to be more specific.

The "replace with clip" feature you suggest works also works as expected. 

But it really does not help my situation, since it only works on one clip at a time and more important, it resets any in/out or freeze frame information. So basically I will have to rebuild the entire timeline clip by clip again

When i replace a source in the bin on the other hand, all existing clip information is untouched in the timeline and it can be done in one click per source no matter how many times the clip is used in timeline.

• 4. Re: PremierePro PC 8.2.0 (65) replace footage causes error "The importer reported a generic error"
                Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

If your AE comp involves any keyframes, please try a quick test: create a new AE project and a simple comp that has no keyframes, then perform the Replace Footage operation in Premiere.

This is to test whether you're hitting a variant of a known issue involving keyframing. I doubt that this is the problem since you're able to import the same comp by other paths, but it's worth ruling out.

If this test yields the same generic error, then I'm afraid I won't be able to help because I have very limited experience with Dynamic Link and general interoperability between the two programs.

• 5. Re: PremierePro PC 8.2.0 (65) replace footage causes error "The importer reported a generic error"
                  Freeze73 Level 1

No key frames what so ever.

The AE project I refer to, only involves a standard hdtv 720p comp with a text element or a simple shape drawn. (Actually I am pretty certain that an empty comp will yield the same result)

The problem is consistent no matter if it's the most simple AE project I can possible make or a complexed project with many comps in it.

Personally, I am pretty sure the potential bug is isolated in PP and has nothing to do with AE. The reason why I believe so, is that when I try to pick large AE project the error message pops up much quicker than the time it takes to loads and analyze the AE .aep file.

Please before you go, can you tell me wether or not you get the same result when doing a simple test as I described in a somewhat similar set up.

And please pass the information on to the developer team. (I have already written a bug report) but I am desperate for a quick fix to this issue, so any help bringing their attention to the problem is much appreciated.

Thank you and enjoy the holidays