14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 12:57 PM by Pommyboi

Lightroom Corrupt Files

bracehemi

Within the last couple days, I have come across an issue in Lightroom. When transferring photos from PhotoMechanic to Lightroom, the file becomes corrupt. The issue comes when the file is brought into Lightroom (and even Photoshop).

I have an inkling it is something to do with my computer. I have used multiple memory cards. And tonight following the game, a colleague of mine imported the photos onto his computer through both PhotoMechanic and Lightroom with no issues to any image.

Equipment:

Canon 1Dx

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Here's what it looks like in my Library view:

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 11.24.21 PM.png

Here is how the file looks in PhotoMechanic (left):

1dx_mess.jpg

Lightroom is updated to the latest 5.7 version and Camera Raw is updated to the latest 8.7 version. My colleague, who's computer everything worked correct on, was using the same version of both programs.

I can rule out that it is not the memory cards, camera body, memory card reader. I feel that it is something within my software or the laptop itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brace

• 1. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It will not be the software. BTW Photomechanical just uses the jpeg previews in the file not the raw data.

Are you sure it is not the car reader or cable?? How did you rule this out??
          I would suggest the ram may be faulty or the hard drive is failing but probably ram. Take it to Apple.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
            Besuro

Having the exact same issue with Macbook pro (2012) and Lightroom 5.7.1. Haven't used Photomechanic in my workflow, so we can safely decouple that from the problem.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
              dj_paige Level 9

This is almost always a hardware problem. You need to check to see if you can get uncorrupted photos using different hardware to transfer the photos to the computer, and even using a different hard drive and different computer if possible.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                Phooto

Getting exactly the same thing, and just updated my computer. Deleted the cache file and still get this. My images are on a network drive, but they've always been fine before. The actual files are fine, if I take them directly into Photoshop, all is fine.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As stated this will not be Lightroom problem.

Maybe you want to state what you system is and post a screen shot.

Which cache are you talking of????

• 6. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                    tyroneb17293356

I'm having the same problem, did you find the problem and fix?

• 7. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                      dj_paige Level 9

tyroneb17293356 wrote:

I'm having the same problem, did you find the problem and fix?

Did you even try the suggestions above?

• 8. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                        tyroneb17293356 Level 1

I've noticed it's happening during the copying /  transfer of images. Image is fine on the compact flash card and can replace the corrupted file if copying over damaged one. I don't see what suggestions you mean other than trying to copy though different methods but that doesn't solve or identify the problem to me with my non tech mind It's either hard drive or OS X doing it. My disk utility says volume is fine though.  Was hoping that someone had identified the problem and could clarify reason for it.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, I meant trying to copy the photo to your computer using different hardware. Did you try that?

• 10. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                            tyroneb17293356 Level 1

I haven't. I only have the one computer and one card reader. But it doesn't corrupt the same files. It's random. I just need to reimport the file if it got corrupted. I noticed that my machine corrupted a file I was working on in Photoshop. It was fine to start but once I saved it corrupted. Taking my computer in to get diagnosed. I'm pretty sure it's the hardware. Been hoping it was software and that a simple fix was at hand.

• 11. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                              dj_paige Level 9

I haven't. I only have the one computer and one card reader. But it doesn't corrupt the same files.

You can't be sure that the card reader isn't the cause of your problems, unless you try other hardware and the problem goes away. Have you tried using a cable direct to your camera instead of a card reader? Does the problem go away then?

• 12. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                                Pommyboi

I have the same issue:

i5, GTX 980 graphics card, 16GB ram, Windows 8.1

Brand new PC only started using it today and have the latest software from Adobe.   So far I have tried the files on two harddrives an SSD and old drive which I usually store photos on with the same result.  Previously I imported via a built in SD card reader with no issues with the files in Lightroom or on the old hardrives.  The same SD reader has been used on another PC with no issue.  Initially the photos appear fine but as I scroll through a few seconds later random photos get thick purple lines through them (as in the OP).  I also noticed the same in Photoshop CC but not if I open in Windows.

I have disabled the "Use Graphics card" option as mentioned elsewhere but no change.

Tyrone -- did you get the issue resolved??

Any other thoughts?

• 13. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Did you try to figure out if a piece of hardware is malfunctioning? That was the advice in this thread.

Just because you have a new PC or a card reader that had worked properly in the past, this does NOT indicate that everything is working properly now. You need to try different hardware (or if possible an entirely different computer) to determine which piece of hardware is malfunctioning.

• 14. Re: Lightroom Corrupt Files
                                    Pommyboi Level 1

As I mentioned I have made multiple attempts at testing hard drives, SD card, card read and cables on both my own PC and other PCs before posting here however I continued to test.

It took 4 or 5 imports onto my PC to see any corruption or issue with the JPGs in Windows, clearly at that point it was not the software (I didn't think it particularly was but the issue only appeared as the RAW previews were drawn in Lightroom).  Anyway the solution for me was to try the rear USB 3 ports straight into my motherboard.  The USB 3 and 2 ports at the front of the case are not working correctly but the only way the issue can be seen is through the import of photographs and then only on after multiple attempts of importing the JPG copies.

Hope that helps!  If you see this issue try all the USB ports on the PC front and back and double check the wires inside your PC if you can access it and find the connections.