2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2007 3:41 PM by Rothrock

external files codepage

Lujunq Level 1
      Hi, I'm now writting some as that will load information from several files. However, I am not able to edit these files, and they may be available with different codifications, like iso8559 or Unicode. Is there a way to identify the way the text was saved to load it correclty on flash? Currently I'm facing this exacta problem: two file I'm loading come with different codifications. If I set System.useCodePage to true, one of the is correctly read, but the other, no. The same, when I keep it false...
        • 1. Re: external files codepage
          SymTsb Level 2
          What do you mean you can't edit them? You don't have access, they are read-only...?
          • 2. Re: external files codepage
            Rothrock Level 5
            You are going to have a hard time. Flash really likes to play with Unicode. I think you would do better to work on finding a way to get all the text into Unicode.

And I don't think there is a way for Flash to identify the contents of the file. And then even if there was, I don't think there is a way to switch how it handles it.

The useCodePage only tells Flash to use the codePage of the users end system. So unless you can count on the end users have the correct local operating system installed…

Sorry. If somebody knows differently I would love to learn.