4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 11:12 AM by xenos66

first-time import of 50G -- a good idea?

xenos66

Hi folks, I'm be grateful for any "best practice" suggestions about setting up a large database of photos for the first time.

I just moved all my photos to a external raid drive and upgraded to Lightroom CC.  My plan is to create one big catalog and filter it  by date (at least to start with) while I build collections as I need them. Can anyone see any problems with this approach, or recommend a better way?

Many thanks,

Patrick

• 1. Re: first-time import of 50G -- a good idea?
          dj_paige Level 9

I would use keywords instead of collections. Keyword can be exported with the photo, or written to the photo file itself (or sidecar .xmp file if the original photo is RAW), collections cannot be written to the photo nor will they stored in the exported photos.. If you ever intend to share your photos on-line, or e-mail them to someone else, or eventually use some other software than Lightroom, keywords transfer easily, collections will not.

Other than that, I think this is a fine plan.

• 2. Re: first-time import of 50G -- a good idea?
            xenos66 Level 1

Very good point about keywords; I have used them inconsistently in the past but it's clearly a more flexible way to organize things. Much obliged!

Thanks and best regards,

Patrick

• 3. Re: first-time import of 50G -- a good idea?
              elie-d Level 4

Are these photos that have previously been imported to a version of LR and edited, ranked, collected or keyworded? (You say that you "upgraded" to LR5.) If so you won't want to reimport them and loose your work, but rather to import the old catalog and then bring the file locations up to date.

• 4. Re: first-time import of 50G -- a good idea?
                xenos66 Level 1

Thanks elie-d, another excellent point. I have several LR 3 catalogs that are focused on a specific subset of images, and have upgraded a few of them. However this is the first time I've had all my images in one place, which is why I was looking for a new approach.

Cheers,

Patrick