4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 2:00 PM by A.T. Romano

PE13 edit preferences - settings

andy.nehan

I have just upgraded to a new PC with a 4820 CPU, 16GB RAM, Win 7 professional and the following drives:-

C drive 128GB SSD for programs

J drive 1TB HD for storage

K drive 256GB for PE13 projects

there are also 2 drives for DVD and BluRay burners.

I must say its pretty darn fast!! I have been into the PE13 Edit/Preferences menu and configured it in both the Media section and the ScratchDisc section to point to the root of the K drive. My project is also in the K drive in a folder (called "Test" as a matter of interest)

Is this the "right" approach?? I have read thru the Muvipix PE13 book and can find no references to Edit Preferences settings - as installed they all point to the C drive (oh dear) so its clearly important to get them pointed correctly.

BTW Merry Xmas everybody - hope its a good one for all; and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Andy

• 1. Re: PE13 edit preferences - settings
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would do what you are doing...

C drive for Windows and all software

J drive for your video files

K drive for projects and temporary files

• 2. Re: PE13 edit preferences - settings
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks path sets should stay as your direct them.

However, I have found that Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and that Media Cache Database will regenerate to the default location as shown there.

The ease with which a project and its assets can be deleted is also a consideration in setting up Scratch Disks.

At the default level, files and folders from different projects for a version will end up in the same folder where you need to sort

through files/folders names to get at the file folders you need to delete to get the project off your computer.

You can set the Scratch Disks to "Same As Project" with regard to location. Whereas, Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks define

the path of the automatically generated project's assets, it is the new project dialog that defines the Save In location of the project.

After the fact, you should be able to use File Menu/Save As to change the location of the project.

All that being said...you can explore

a. pointing the Scratch Disk to Same As Project after you point the project to K

or

b. set up for separate folders for each project for your version and direct each project to its own folder...then point the Scratch Disk for the project

to Same As Project.

Please let us know if any of the above worked for you. If you have questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE13 edit preferences - settings
              andy.nehan Level 1

That's great! I set up all the scratch discs to "same as project". Then I open PE13, then New Project and point to a folder I have already created using the file manager and then save the project right away in the right place. This seems to do what is required - must say its not obvious?? (or maybe I am thick). I have a long history of PE4, PE7 and PE10 and PE10 seemed somewhat less "clunky". But so far so good.

Thanks for such a prompt response.

Andy

• 4. Re: PE13 edit preferences - settings
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

Great news that the suggestions worked for you.

The "...so far so good." sounded great.

Best wishes.

ATR