9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 8:19 AM by A.T. Romano

file in wrong drive.

darren2254

location of file is on wrong drive. Says F drive, but really on C after downloading.  Then it says missing file and then I cannot reconnect.

• 1. Re: file in wrong drive.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

darren2254

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the file involved

a. a video file from your camera?

or

b. download of installation files from Adobe or some place else?

or

c. other?

Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit....go to Computer/Manage/Disc Management, what is your drives set up?

We will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

• 2. Re: file in wrong drive.
            darren2254 Level 1

Hi,

The version is Elements 13 and I am downloading only pictures from my camera.  I have a Windows 7 32 bit.  I am trying to get to my Disc Management. 

• 3. Re: file in wrong drive.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

darren2254

Please confirm if this is the setup for your download of pictures from your camera to Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 32 bit computer...

a. You have a USB connection between the camera and the computer and you have Premiere Elements 13 opened.

b. You use Premiere Elements 13's Add Media/"Photos from camera or devices"/Adobe Premiere Elements - Photo Downloader and you are in

the Advanced Dialog for the Photo Downloader

PhotoDownloader.JPG

Note bottom left...when you see Standard Dialog there, you are in the Advanced Dialog.

Look to the top right of the Dialog where it shows "Save Options" with Location directly below it. Browse to

and select a folder in which to save the downloaded photos....you are the one to make the choice C drive, F

drive or other.

Please review the above to see if any of those details helps to resolve the issues that you have faced. Also

consider downloading and saving your photos from the camera to the computer hard drive and then importing those photos

in Premiere Elements 13 with its Add Media/Files and Folders/.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: file in wrong drive.
                darren2254 Level 1

O.K., I tried your suggestion.  Everything points to the C drive, but when it is down loaded Elements says the files are still in the F drive even though it is not there.  My F drive is my mirrored drive.  I made sure in My Pref. that everything was set to C Drive.  what else can I try.  I still could not get to My Disc Management to see if it in order problem.

• 5. Re: file in wrong drive.
                  darren2254 Level 1

My C drive is Disc 0 and the F drive is Disc 1.  Both are primary

• 6. Re: file in wrong drive.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

darren2254

Have you gotten into Computer/Manage/Disk Management to explore the drives set up fuller?

I have 64 bit Windows 7 and 8.1 computers, no Windows 32 bit. But, I am assuming that the route to the Disk Management is the same as I have indicated. What exactly is the problem when you go to access the drives information in Disk Management. No response to clicking on Disk Management to open the view or something else?

Let us back up a bit....

1. Before connecting camera to computer, you go to Computer and view the computer's drives there -  what do you see - under Hard Disk Drives and Devices with Removable Storage?  Just C and F? After you make a USB connection between the camera and the computer, what do you see in Computer for the drives C and F or C, F, and something else?

Details....

The camera is connected to the computer and to that Photo Downloader dialog via a USB connection.

When you do that, the camera folder should be represented as a removable disc in Computer with a Windows determined/assigned drive

letter. And, if you use the Premiere Elements/....../Photo Downloader dialog route, that drive letter should be available to you in the Source field of

the Photo Downloader dialog.

What I am suspecting is the following - when you made the camera computer USB connection, Windows gave the letter F to that Camera Folder and bumped it off the mirrored F drive, perhaps giving it another letter.

So please let us get into Disk Management. What goes unexplained with this theory is how you can save the import to F drive if the Save In of the Photo Downloader is set to a C location.

We will be watching for your reply.

ATR

• 7. Re: file in wrong drive.
                      darren2254 Level 1

O.K. before connecting my digital camera to my computer, these Drives are shown. Local Disc C, Local Disc F, and  Free Agent Drive I.  After I plug in my camera, another drive is shown which is Removal Disc H.  All the other drives remain the same.  And every you said about the photo Downloader dialig is correct.

OK, so I got into the Disc Management.  what should I be looking for?  This is what I see.My C drive is Disc 0 and the F drive is Disc 1.  Both are primary. and they both say they are Healthy.

• 8. Re: file in wrong drive.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

darren2254

Thanks for the follow ups.

From what I have read, for all intents and purposes, the numbering order of the drives should not be making a difference. The drive letters are another story related to the troubleshooting that we are doing. However, you have said the the F Drive exists as a mirror drive. That means to me that the F, the mirror drive, is a backup drive for C and the rest.

The only drives of consequence should be the new one, H, when the camera computer USB connection exists, and the C drive designated in the Save In of the Photoshop Downloader. If you set that the Photo Downloader Save In location for a C drive location, then the copies of the downloaded photos should be going to that C drive location.

Also, in Disk Management, please note the readings for "Layout" and "Type" for each of the C and F drives.

C - Layout = Simple, and Type = Basic

F - Layout = Mirror, and Type = Dynamic

Is that what you see there?

ATR

• 9. Re: file in wrong drive.
                          darren2254 Level 1

Under my disc management this is what is listed:

C-Layout=Simple, and Type=Basic

F-Layout=Simple, and Type=Basic

Do I need to try and changes this setup?

• 10. Re: file in wrong drive.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

darren2254

I am seeing the following in my Inbox Email Notifications but I do not see this particular post of yours posted in this thread yet. Maybe a delay?

It will probably show up soon. But to keep things moving along, here is a copy/paste of that

Under my disc management this is what is listed:

C-Layout=Simple, and Type=Basic

F-Layout=Simple, and Type=Basic

Do I need to try and changes this setup?

I have not worked with mirror drive, but I see no indication that F is a mirror drive (backup of the rest).

Did you do the drive set up or did it come with the computer purchase or did a computer shop set it up?

Given that you have a valid C drive...

a. the camera computer connection is giving you a H drive

and

b. the Photodownloader Save In is set for a C drive location of your choice

then you could consider changing the drive letter of F to something else. If that does not work, you can change the drive letter back to F.

Also, you might consider taking the Premiere Elements Photodownloader out of the equation and do this.

a. camera computer connection giving you your H drive

b. right click the H drive under computer, select Open.

c. review the drive contents, probably a folder with your photos

d. right click the folder, select Copy, and, then Paste the folder to the desktop.

e. open Premiere Elements and use its Add Media/Files and Folders to get your

selected photos into the project.

Please review and consider the above and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR