4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2014 1:25 PM by izoot

oil paint filter

izoot

I just wanted to let all you folks developing Photoshop how angering and frustrating it is when you

remove a feature or a filter without making it clear to your users ahead of time. I never would have

updated Photoshop had I known the Oil Paint filter was going to be yanked. I'm in the middle of a

project in which it was a crucial feature for me. Now I need to go and load of an old version of PS.

That is if you didn't kill that option off as well. You folks did the same thing to the iPhone app ...

when you yanked the creative filters pack .... which we paid for and again found incredibly useful.

Don't get me wrong .... I love everything you've done with Photoshop since V1 Beta. It's an amazing

tool that has changed my art and career for the better ... to places I never could have gotten without

it. But it's pretty short sighted to take out features that people find useful and have based images for

jobs on having the ability to use.

You folks just erased my Xmas day as I'll either be reinstalling the old version and making up for the

time lost today. Or trying to figure out how to simulate the effect .... if that can ever be done. Sorry if

this comes off as whiny ... not the intention.

Merry Christmas folks

Ira

Zoot.com

• 1. Re: oil paint filter
          Level 5

The bad news for you, izoot, is that you're not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.

You're preaching to the choir—in the desert.

So, not only are you going to spend some time installing CC (the Oil Paint filter was deprecated in CC2014, but it remains intact in CC), but you just wasted minutes writing this post. 

• 2. Re: oil paint filter
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

without making it clear to your users ahead of time. I never would have

updated Photoshop had I known the Oil Paint filter was going to be yanked.

To be fair to Adobe, this was made clear in their Photoshop blog in April 2014

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

• 3. Re: oil paint filter
              izoot Level 1

That's nice that they do that. But some of us have a million other things to do besides read blogs.

I think I own like 665 they ever shipped and v1 beta before that so I have handle on how to use

the app. Again ... I love Photoshop but I hate when they yank the ability to use filters I spent a ton

of money on for previous versions and found very important. I hate when they put out that iPhone

app then offered those "pay for effects" packs. Then they hose all of use who paid to have those

things and again came to use them and find them useful ... then have them just tossed aside ...

these guys are genius developers .... how hard could it have been to post these? To top it all

off PS CC 2014 is dog slow on regular filters it used to fly on. Progress is not always such a good

thing. It's nice that they are expanding the functionality of PS to 3d, video and all that other crap.

Unfortunately for use that do artwork that just sits there ... we get screwed in the deal. PS owns

the market ... all we can do is piss and moan once in awhile. Unfortunate I have to go back to

old machines with old software to do my work ... but at least I can still do it. Not something I can

with the current version

• 4. Re: oil paint filter
                JoeLib Level 3

I kept CC and also have CC(2014).

I need CC for my older 3rd party plugins (and Oil Paint).

I need CC (2014) for all the new stuff.

They both can coexist on you computer.

CC was the last version of Photoshop using FLASH

CC(2014) is the beginning of Photoshop sans Flash, using HTML5 instead.

If you have both CC & CC2014 on your computer, there is 1 caveat lurking in Bridge.   You need to go to Bridge's preferences File Associations and check JPG, PSD, TIF, BMP etc. file types to see if they associate to CC or CC(2014).  Change their association to CC(2014) otherwise CC will launch while you are running CC(2014) and that's confusing.

• 5. Re: oil paint filter
                  izoot Level 1

Thanks thats the route I want. I have been tempted to set up one of my old boxes with ancient verisons

of PS. I sure miss my XaosTools, Terrazzo and KPT just to mention a few of the plugin sets that I loved

so much but never found the support to port over. Sometimes I consider seeing if I can find any good

developers to partner with me on getting some of these old tools ported forward. Probably would cost

an arm and a leg between programming and buying the licenses but the new PS users don't know the

amazing array of plugs and functionaltiy that antique digital artists like me had access too. Maybe this

will be my New Years resolution

Happy holidays folks and Happy New Year as well!!

Ira Zoot

zoot.com

idigits.com

Ticketstub.com and others ....