12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 7:32 AM by Bengt Nyman

Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?

Bengt Nyman Level 1

I run Lightroom 5.7 under Windows 7. I download my Nikon D810 camera raw files to an external Travel Drive (F:)/Photos/2014. Windows 7 creates a Dated Folder under this location.

I process one raw photo file at a time and export the image JPG file back to the same folder on my Travel Drive; F:/Photos/2014/Dated Folder.

MOST OF THE TIME my JPG image files are to be found in this folder. But SOMETIMES Lightroom decides to create a new folder on C:/Users/My Name/Photos/2014/Dated Folder, where Lightroom places copies of the raw files PLUS THE "MISSING" JPG IMAGE FILES.

WHY ? How can I prevent this unexpected, unannounced and arbitrary behavior on part of Lightroom ?

• 1. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
          elie-d Level 4

Are you sure that the NEF file that is active and being edited in LR is in fact on the F drive and not on the C drive? Maybe when importing your NEFs and copying them from the memory card you accidentally chose the similarly named folder on the C as the destination.

• 2. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
            Bengt Nyman Level 1

Why would there then be a full set of the NEF files in the RIGHT location ?

Bengt Nyman

To: Bengt Nyman <bengtenyman@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 5:23 PM

Subject:  Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?

created by elie-d in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionAre you sure that the NEF file that is active and being edited in LR is in fact on the F drive and not on the C drive. Maybe when importing your NEFs and copying them from the memory card you accidentally chose the similarly named folder on the C as the destination. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043364#7043364 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043364#7043364 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 3. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
              Bengt Nyman Level 1

Furtermore, when I upload the RAW files from the camera there is no /Photos/2014/Dated Folder/  path on the C:/Drive.I delete that every time Lightroom does this strange thing.

Bengt Nyman

Subject:  Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?

created by elie-d in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionAre you sure that the NEF file that is active and being edited in LR is in fact on the F drive and not on the C drive. Maybe when importing your NEFs and copying them from the memory card you accidentally chose the similarly named folder on the C as the destination. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043364#7043364 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043364#7043364 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 4. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                dj_paige Level 9

One possibility is that when you are importing the photos, you have "Copy" selected instead of "Add".

• 5. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                  Bengt Nyman Level 1

No. That choice does not even exist in that part of the process. And if it did why would it lead to a different Drive ?

No, I think this is something that Lightroom does to secure the data when you choose not to follow the lightroom expectation of keeping everything on your C:/drive. Bengt Nyman

Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 5:47 PM

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionOne possibility is that when you are importing the photos, you have "Copy" selected instead of "Add". If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043549#7043549 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043549#7043549 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 6. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                    dj_paige Level 9

If Lightroom is placing the RAW files on the wrong drive (which you said it was doing sometimes), then it is most likely because you have select Copy during Import, when you should be selecting Add.

Then by default the export winds on the wrong drive as well (the default is to export to the same folder as the original).

Also, when you export, you have complete control over what disk and folder the export goes to, you can specifically tell Lightroom where to put the photos.

• 7. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                      Bengt Nyman Level 1

Are you aware of any situations where Lightroom automatically backs things up on the C:/ drive ?It even adds the end of the path; C:/User/My Name/Photos/2014/Dated Folder, when I have deleted it. Bengt Nyman

• 8. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Are you aware of any situations where Lightroom automatically backs things up on the C:/ drive ?It even adds the end of the path; C:/User/My Name/Photos/2014/Dated Folder, when I have deleted it.

Lightroom only follows your instructions. If photos are winding up in the wrong place, it is because you told Lightroom to put them there (perhaps accidentally).

Lightroom makes backups of your photos on Import if you check "Make a Second Copy To:"

• 9. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                          Bengt Nyman Level 1

Se Below.

Bengt Nyman

Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:19 PM

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

Are you aware of any situations where Lightroom automatically backs things up on the C:/ drive ?It even adds the end of the path; C:/User/My Name/Photos/2014/Dated Folder, when I have deleted it.

Lightroom only follows your instructions. If photos are winding up in the wrong place, it is because you told Lightroom to put them there (perhaps accidentally). They end up in two places without checking "Make a Second Copy To" and the JPG files end up on the C:/drive.

Lightroom makes backups of your photos on Import if you check "Make a Second Copy To:" I never check this option

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043562#7043562 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043562#7043562 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 10. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                            Bengt Nyman Level 1

1. My upload from the camera is ALWAYS to the (F:) drive using Windows, not Lightroom

2. My selection during import to Lightroom is ALWAYS on ADD. I never change it.3. My selection during export from Lightroom is ALWAYS: Same folder as original file.

Bengt Nyman

Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:12 PM

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionIf Lightroom is placing the RAW files on the wrong drive (which you said it was doing sometimes), then it is most likely because you have select Copy during Import, when you should be selecting Add.Then by default the export winds on the wrong drive as well (the default is to export to the same folder as the original). Also, when you export, you have complete control over what disk and folder the export goes to, you can specifically tell Lightroom where to put the photos. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043557#7043557 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7043557#7043557 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 11. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                              Bengt Nyman Level 1

1. My upload from the camera is ALWAYS to the F:/ Drive using Windows. This never fails.

2. My selection during import to Lightroom is ALWAYS on ADD. I never change it.

3. My selection during export from Lightroom is ALWAYS: Same folder as original file (in other words F:/).

So why does:

A. My export SOMETIMES end up on the C:/ Drive.

B. And in these cases, why does Lightroom copy the name of the path from F:/ to C:/ and copy all the camera RAW files? I delete it all every time this happens, even the last two folders in the path: /2014/Dated Folder/.

C. In these cases all imported raw files end up on both drives F:/ and C:/ but the exported image files are only placed on the C:/ drive.

• 12. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have "Add to Catalog" set in the Export options?  Are you checking for the extraneous Users-2014 every time before and after exporting and importing?  LR doesn't have a way to export both the original file and a JPG version during the same Export. 

My suggestion, and maybe you've tried it, would be to delete your LR preferences file, because LR will remember previously-used paths in there and could be using the wrong one if the file has been corrupted, somehow.  Before deleting it, review your preferences for anything important that is set beyond the defaults.

The Preferences file is located as specified on this page:

Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

One way to keep LR from creating the 2014 folder under Users location is to create a file with the same name "2014" so the folder can't also be created.  This will be 2015 in another week. 

• 13. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                                  Bengt Nyman Level 1

I am trying your suggestion to delete the LR preferences file.

I will know after my next few imports/exports if it helps.

• 14. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                                    Bengt Nyman Level 1

No, Deleting the LR preferences file made no difference.

However, I noticed something. Occasionally when I open LR and select "Import" the window opens but the upper selection jumps to "Copy" while the selection "Add" is blackened and can not be selected.

If I now close LR, open it again and select "Import" the selection is on and stays on "Add" where I always keep it, and everything works as usual.

• 15. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                                      Bengt Nyman Level 1

Discovery and conclusion: The error occurs if I do not disconnect the Nikon D810 camera from the computer after uploads, before opening Lightroom.

If I do, everything works as expected.

• 16. Re: Why do my exported JPG photo files SOMETIMES end up on the wrong drive?
                                        Bengt Nyman Level 1

I have now tested this three days in a row.

As long as I disconnect the camera from the computer BEFORE I open Lightroom everything works as intended and expected.

Thank You All for your help !