11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 7:23 AM by A.T. Romano

Saved video doesn't play just audio

PTO888

Just purchased and installed Premiere Elements 13.  Edited a quick movie off my camera and did the "Publish and Share" for computer but the dang video doesn't play, just audio only.  There is a dizzying array of save as choices and I've tried most of them but none work what gives?  I thought this would be easy like Windows Movie Maker which I now have to fall back on.  Help!  Windows 8, Toshiba laptop, what else do you need to know.

• 1. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So you don't WANT choices?

Anyway, a lot depends on a lot. What software are you using to play it -- and how do you ultimately plan to share your finished video? That will determine which Publish & Share preset you use.

BTW, I recommend you use VLC Player as your player software. It's much more versatile and reliable than Windows Media Player. In fact, why not try playing your output on it? Though, as I said, your ultimate Publish & Share will be based on how you plan to distribute your video.

Also, you have ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements, rigth?

• 2. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
            A.T. Romano Level 7

PTO888

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8 (presumed 64 bit)

Important: Does your source media have video and sound in the Edit area before export in the Publish+Share area?

What are the properties of your source media? What is your export intent?

What video card/graphics card does your Window 8 computer use? Please look at the Publish+Share/ choices with and without

the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference disabled in preferences (See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.)

Also, pending more details from you, you might want to explore the free Media Player Classic HC if you need to add another player to your computer.

Home · MPC-HC

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
              PTO888 Level 1

Merry Christmas and thanks for trying to help me!  I'm a pretty unsophisticated user so not sure what all that is.  I'm editing mpg file and adding titles and all that, works good in Premier Elements itself just can't play the vid when saved from the program.  Only a music note shows as the video part, sound ok.  Yes playing back with Windows Media Player, like a common denominator out there.  I did unclick the HD graphics box but didn't make a difference on playback.  All this seems harder than it should be to make quick vids to share by email or put on FB (argh haha).  I really do like that smart fix though, fixed dark exposure quickly.  Now if I can only save and share the vids!

Thanks again all

oh yeah, I did download Quicktime but the install program said I already had a newer version so it aborted.

• 4. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                A.T. Romano Level 7

PTO888

Thanks for the reply.

If you have exported your Timeline content to a MPEG2.mpg file and are using Windows Media Player on Windows 8, this all may boil

down to the known non suppport of MPEG2 by Microsoft for Windows Media Player. Just one from many on the subject

How to get Windows 8 to be able to read MPG or MPEG-2 video files? - Microsoft Community

Have you looked at playback of your export, using the Media Player Classic HC or the VLC player?

Have you looked at exporting to something other than Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG (if that is what you are doing) and going with

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD or Windows Media or QuickTime?

Details....

Given you have imported .mpg files to your project, added titles et al, and you say

works good in Premier Elements itself just can't play the vid when saved from the program

What specifically are your export choices

Publish + Share

Computer

and then what - MPEG, AVCHD, XAVC-S, AVI, Windows Media, QuickTime, Image, or Audio.

Once you make one of those choices, what are you setting for Presets?

And, once you have set the preset are you using the default values for that preset or clicking on the Advanced Button/Video Tab and/or

Audio Tab to customize the preset?

What is the file extension of the exported file that you are playing back on the Windows Media Player (what version)?

Are you saying that you import and edit your .mpg source files with no problems video or audio wise? You see your Timeline rendered

video import in the Edit area monitor without any issues?

ATR

• 5. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                  PTO888 Level 1

Thanks for more help.  This is so junk and frustrating I want my money back.  Both those player programs do indeed work (VLC and the other).  Tried uploading to FB both SD and HD but the uploader keeps crashing!?  What a mess Adobe.  This just doesn't work.  Or is it Microsoft's fault in Windows 8, I don't know because I clicked on those discussion links about MPG support & downloads/updates but the pages won't load.  I can't even see CNET.com anymore the page is blank like the others.  argh.

• 6. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                    PTO888 Level 1

The options to save are many (good if worked)

NTSC DVD Standard and Widescreen

MPEG2 25 30 etc.

Yes the videos play and can be edited in Premier and VLC but not played in Windows Media or Movie Maker.

• 7. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PTO888

Looks like several things going on at the same time.

1. If you are exporting MPEG2.mpg from Premiere Elements or any other video editor on that Windows 8 computer, you are running into a Microsoft issue Windows Media Player and not a video editor issue.

a. So, you either use another player - VLC or the Media Classic HC or other.

or

b. You export your Timeline in another format, H.264.mp4 or H.264.mov instead of MPEG2.mpg. (See Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD for H.264.mp4 and Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime for H.264.mov.

Again, the MPEG2.m2t or MPEG2.mpg issue goes to Microsoft whether with the Windows Media Player or Movie Maker.

How to edit MPEG-2 video in Windows Movie Maker 2012 in Windows 8 - Microsoft Community

2. As for the uploads to Facebook from with the Premiere Elements 13 Publish+Share/Social Websites/Facebook. This one we point to Premiere Elements and the project....

a. Check out your Facebook account by exporting your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive. Then upload that file to Facebook at the Facebook web site. Does that work? For producing this file, consider....if you had a 1920 x 1080p30 source....Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 (if you are in a NTSC setup).

b. If "a" works, then you might want to try Facebook again. If same thing, try YouTube or Vimeo to see if the same thing happens.

But, with your reporting problems with opening web sites on your computer, your Facebook issue may end up being a computer/Internet issue.

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next with regard to the Social Website uploads.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                        PTO888 Level 1

Man oh man I must've had a bungee cord on going down the rabbit hole to get me back out.  I uninstalled what I could, found the "free" win 8 codecs, in turn uninstalled even more unwanted junk, and finally got cnet and even microsoft pages to load.  Read some about the licensing problems with Microsoft, which apparently now becomes a problem for all of us.  I don't want to buy a DVD program for Win8 or pay them to upgrade to Pro but may have to just to active Media Center or something?  Rubbish.

I do like the smart feature on Premiere Elements!!!  But movie maker works but w/o being able to correct my lousy camera work and was free.   So I have the new VLC working and if can figure out the FB upload (thanks for long explanation I may brave it but giving up now) but for now all this is just too much.  I have spent my entire Christmas Eve and Day on it and it's over for now.  I'm sunk and done.  Ego deflated, defeated by what was supposed to be enjoyable purchase / upgrade.  Why isn't Premier backwards compatible???   to plain old mpeg like what was working before.  That's all I ask at this point.

Thank you once again for trying to help!!!  On today too.  Both of us need to log off before the day is all gone.

• 9. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PTO888

Congratulations on your successes and sorting through the troubleshooting details on all fronts.

Christmas gifts can be challenging. I received a tablet for Christmas, and getting it set up has been my challenge.

No Premiere Elements involved in this. Just me versus Microsoft ways. Today I won the war as well as the battles.

You will also. Do not give up or be defeated.

You mentioned that yours was supposed to be enjoyable purchase/upgrade. Did you have a prior version

of Premiere Elements? If so, which one? Principles tend to stay the same from version to version but features have the

tendency to be move, change, or be deleted.

I suspect that the time you invested in the troubleshooting tonight will expedite getting the Premiere Elements Facebook feature

to work for you in the new day.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                            PTO888 Level 1

Ok, what did you guys do it works now.  Seriously.  (FB upload part).

So after taking the dog for a walk I reinstalled Premiere and tried uploading a 1 second file.  It works.  It works! 
                            Trying to upload a longer 4 minute test video and got as far as 98% then it choked.  Subsequent retries choke at 55%.  But at least I know if it ever completes it will play on FB and that is most of the battle!  Uploading to youtube should be cake after this.

THANK YOU ALL for the suggestions.  I made VLC the default vid player on the laptop.  Get with the times I guess.

I'll take it from here and hope to learn more about this program now.  It is way more powerful than what I was I doing previously.

It works.  shakes head in disbelief but happy.

Aloha!

• 11. Re: Saved video doesn't play just audio
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Great news PTO888

Wonderful news. Great job of stick-to-it-tiveness.

The uninstall/reinstall probably was a major contributor to your success. Often you need to include in the uninstall/reinstall a free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs/reinstalls.

In your further evaluation of the program and in particular the Publish+Share/Computer/Social Websites opportunities Facebook and YouTube,

see what works best for you for a given Timeline...upload from within the Premiere Elements feature versus export of Premiere Elements Timeline content

to file which is uploaded to the Social Website at the Social Website. The Social Website could always be experiencing its own problems independent of Premiere Elements.

Although YouTube has published Premiere Elements limits for the built in feature (2 GB/15 minutes), FaceBook does not. But, I believe it does have its limits "behind the scenes" for a given Facebook account. Not sure since I do not have a Facebook account.

Best wishes

ATR