5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2014 10:27 PM by clauderozsa

Problem with premiere pro effects controls

clauderozsa Level 1

Hi, Merry Christmas;

I have a problem using keys with the opacity effect in the effects control panel; the following pictures should I think make my problem clearer to understand:

view of raft opacity control.png

The image above shows that the opacity control of the correction gopro clip is at 100% which unless I've drunk too much champagne, is in full view on the screen!

I want to make a transition effect showing the raft appearing in the window of the following picture which is an Indian Granary above the Colorado river.

On my clip of the Granary I zoomed up to the window as to give the impression I get into the granary itself; When I arrive at this moment I begin, with key frames to have

the granary interior pass from 100% opacity to 0% at the end of the granary clip. Unless again champagne is very bad for my health and vision, I should see then the river

and the raft! Well I don't and that gives me nightmares! What is wrong? I add that to have a smooth and regular zoom I have used time remapping on the granary clip.

The granary clip is the one just above the correction gopro clip and overlapping it by the duration of the dissolve shown selected in the picture below(I could of course use a dissolve here, but I want to economize on a supplementary effect)

view of granary opacity controls.png

below is the  view with the screen and the opacity of the granary clip at 25%. Normally the clip of the raft should be quite visible then! the red-orange on the right of the screen is the interior wall of the granary!

view with screen at 25pct opacity.png

Thanks for any suggestions... Claude

• 1. Re: Problem with premiere pro effects controls
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Stacking in Adobe products is prototypically the top being the final thing you "see". If you have two clips, one atop the other, you will normally see the top clip & nothing from the bottom clip ... unless the top-most clip is given some transparency by say bringing its opacity setting down.

Think of it as the bottom layer "feeds" up to the next higher layer and so on. What comes out at the top is what you will see as the final product.

Much of my work has been short interviews cut with b-roll & stills. The basic interview sits on V1, and I use V2 and only occasionally V3 for the b-roll & stills that I'll cut to for variety, information, or simply interest retention during the running of essentially the audio from V1. This works nice, as I can expand or trim the b-stuff as it seems right while playing back. Then if I want to put in a transition, as part of polishing, I can either trim out the V1 section and move the V2 clip "down" before adding transitions or do a razor on V1 on both ends and add it to the end of the clips. Typically I cut out the section.

The lesson is ... putting anything on a higher track replaces the viewable video of anything under it. Unless you reduce the upper tracks opacity.

Neil

• 2. Re: Problem with premiere pro effects controls
            shooternz Level 6

Why do you have two layers of Black Video above your clips?

In one grab they are in ON Layers...in the other they are in OFF Layers.

• 3. Re: Problem with premiere pro effects controls
              clauderozsa Level 1

" If you have two clips, one atop the other, you will normally see the top clip & nothing from the bottom clip ... unless the top-most clip is given some transparency by say bringing its opacity setting down."

Well that's exactly what I want. As I explained akwardly probably, I zoom in the upper layer clip V4 to reach the granary window and get into it and when I arrive to the wall I fade out to make it transparent and see the clip of the raft which is under it on V3. Why does the transparency doesn't work?

• 4. Re: Problem with premiere pro effects controls
                clauderozsa Level 1

Hi, I have 2 different footage all along the video one with an aspect ratio of 4:3 (old analog files) the other more recent of 16:9. I've decided to generalize my video to 16:9 and adjusted the 4:3 full screen with the same height as the recent video. To make it look homogeneous I have put a black bar on the top and lower part of the screen. It is totally without effect on the rest of the video. I just forgot to switch on the bars in the second picture. This is not relevant with my problem.

Among other things that may be the cause of my problem I was wondering if the time remapping of the upper layer clip done before the keying of the opacity effect, was not the problem? I have not checked that up to now.

• 5. Re: Problem with premiere pro effects controls
                  clauderozsa Level 1

Sorry Guys I found the reason; my fade duration was too short! I had put 2" for the fade and it seems not enough due to the time remapping of the upper layer clip! Sorry for the trouble.

Claude