15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 6:34 PM by Schmaltzkopf

Text-frame Title

Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Hi there.

I have threaded text frames for which I want each one to have the same title, as such:

How can I set it up that "USA Governors" will automatically be on top of each text frame?

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Text-frame Title
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a paragraph style, set its keep-options to "start in next frame"

and then copy past as many times as needed?

• 2. Re: Text-frame Title
            Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Ariel, thank you for replying. I don;t understand you, so please explain.

• 3. Re: Text-frame Title

If you want a paragraph to begin a new frame, then set its "keep

options". Keep options are a property of a paragraph. They can be set on

an individual basis (an override), or they can be set as part of a

paragraph style, which is recommended.

One of the available keep options is "Start a new frame", meaning that

InDesign will force this paragraph to be at the top of the next

available frame in a story (set of threaded text frames).

So if you want your title to always appear at the top of a frame, set

its keep options.

• 4. Re: Text-frame Title
                Schmaltzkopf Level 1

But, I want that title to be on the top of the frame independent of any paragraph. In other words,the same way the title of a book is at the top of a page regardless of whether the book's paragraphs start at the beginning of the page or not.

• 5. Re: Text-frame Title
                  gert verrept Level 2

I think you're better of with a "running header", that way you can control what's in the header on each page, regardless of what's in the paragraph. The running header can be found in the type menu under text variables. Select "define" and "edit" the properties of the running header to your needs. The best way for you is to create a character style for "US Governors".

• 6. Re: Text-frame Title

Your question was unclear. Now it sounds like you're talking about

running headers (which is a book-design term).

To do that, you would need to create a master page, and add a text frame

(or two if the doc is set to facing pages) at the top of the master

page/s where you want it positioned, and then apply the master page to

the document pages.

This is basic stuff. Do you have a good book about InDesign to work

through? Even the PDF manual is better than nothing (although if you can

get hold of the Adobe Help Center that was packaged with CS2 no

other Adobe help file surpasses that in terms of convenience IMO -- it

even had a real, manmade index!)

• 7. Re: Text-frame Title
                      Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Actually, I have three different sections on each page. I want each one to have a title that will appear on each page:

Is there a way that I can attach the titles to each text frame in a way that they will automatically change position when I resize the text frame? I don't want to put it in the master page because I don't want to have to override it each time I want to move it.

• 8. Re: Text-frame Title
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

it might (ore equally might not) work to add a running header variable to the frames on the master pages, applied to the frame path itself as text on a path.

• 9. Re: Text-frame Title
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Schmaltzkopf – another solution could be setting text on a path.

That path could be well the one of a text frame:

TextOnPathOfTextFrames.png

Uwe

• 10. Re: Text-frame Title
                            Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Hi Peter:

Q: I thought a running header can only be used for the first or last word of the page. I think you are saying that I can also use it for a title of a text box that will appear on each box (as part of master). Can you please explain?

• 11. Re: Text-frame Title
                              Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Laubender: I tried your suggestion, and - although it does work in general, I have a unique set-up. I put the text frames in the master-page, then place text with shift-click . The problem is, if I make the text frame into a text-on-path, then when I place the text into it, I only get one line of text per page, as opposed to multiple lines. Any ideas?

• 12. Re: Text-frame Title

Running header variables come in two types, character style and paragraph style, and can be used to pick up the first or last occurrence on a page (or the last occurrence on the previous pages if there is no match on the current page). Typically you would use them in a page header and set the variable to pick up something like a chapter title from the first page of the chapter, but you can pick up any text if it has a unique style applied, and the variable can be inserted into any text string.

Variables are considered to be a single character as far as formatting is concerned, so you cannot have part in italics and part roman, for example, and they cannot break across lines.

As far as the text on the path vs. text in the frame, these are separate "containers" so it should not be a problem as long as you are careful not to have the text on the path active when you place the paragraph text.

• 13. Re: Text-frame Title
                                  Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Hi Peter:

You taught me a trick recently regarding placing text. What you wrote to me was (paraphrasing):

1. put text frames on master page,
                                  2. apply master-page to first page,
                                  3. place text into text frame (that's part of master-page) with shift-click, and that creates as many pages as needed to display all placed text - while linking all frames in order that text should flow from page to page.

In my current project i did that, and then tried to (in addition) put text on frames as type-on-path as such:

Master Page:

Then I placed the text (shift-click).

Page #1:

Page #2-3

I don't think the type-on-path was selected, because I did it on a regular page into a master-page item.

Any idea why this is happening?

• 14. Re: Text-frame Title

Your master frames appear to be threaded from right to left, rather than left to right, which would be a problem. There does not appear to be any excess text flowed into the frame (no overset indicator), so I'm not sure I see any problem here.

• 15. Re: Text-frame Title
                                      Schmaltzkopf Level 1

Actually, I threaded right-to-left because that is the direction in which my other project is  set to.

BUT, I deleted the type from path on the master-pages (as in "delete type from path"), and got satisfactory results, so my question stands

Thank you

• 16. Re: Text-frame Title

You'll recall that I said it might not work, and I haven't tested it here. Since I don't have your file and don't really know exactly waht you are doing it's very hard to know if this is a general problem, or something specific to what you are doing.

• 17. Re: Text-frame Title
                                          Schmaltzkopf Level 1

I understand your point, and if you have a chance try recreating what I told you, and I think you'll see what I mean