Yes I got the generic error.
CS6 is fine.
Thank you. That is good and bad news.
Good because it is an error/bug easily replicated and bad because it's there
And more feedback from more users are welcome. Thank you.
Could more people please confirm the existence of this severe bug. It should only take a minute to do the test - Thanks
I get the error as well using 2014.2
However, given the unusualness of the work flow, I'd hardly call it a 'severe' bug. Instead of replacing essentially nothing (black) with something (AE footage), just import the something to begin with.
Thank you for doing the test.
Let me explain why this I call this a severe bug then.
The work flow I describe here is just to keep the test as simple as possible to ease the workload of people willing to do the actual test. So please ignore the black video setup in it self.
Here is the real work flow where this feature is crucial for effeiciancy.
I make 3D animations and have been doing so for many years.
The way I usually produce a animation is that I set up animation clips / layers in 3DSMax and render out quick png viewport preview files for fast and efficient editing in premiere.
Once I am satisfied with the final cut of the animation in its preview state in general, I submit the animation layers from 3DSMax to the renderfarm to have it render out the final frames as .exr files.
As the individual animation clips / layers begin to emerge on the network, I am ready to do the Post Production part of the animation production.
And since post production work, masking, filtering, effects and stuff is much more suited for AfterEffects I import every final rendered animation clip / layer into AE and do post work on the individual clip.
Here is where the Bug is introduced!
As the clips are completed in AE, I begin to replace the preview clips in Premiere with the comps coming from the AE to finalize the project.
The way I used to replace the clips in Premiere, were by right clicking the individual preview sources in the Premiere project bin, Right click them and choose "Replace footage".
The reason why I am doing it this way compared to other replace methods, is that this is the only way the already edited clips in the timeline keeps their In/Out and freeze frame settings. Using any other replace method resets the clip, so all previous in/out, freeze frame settings are lost, meaning I would more or less have to reconstruct the entire timeline once more as I replaced the clips one by one.
Of cause I could just render out the comps from AE as uncompressed Avi sequences, but then I loose the benefit of the dynamic link workflow that these tools promote them self by.
I hope this has throw some light on the predicament and shows why it's extremely annoying that this bug has been introduced since version CC 2014.
Thank you : )
CC7 also shows this behaviour.
Do anybody know how I can be sure that this issue/bug is acknowledged by the Premiere development team?
I have submitted a bug report, but since they announce that the I should not expect a respond. There is no way telling if they actually received and acknowledged the bug.
Do any of you MVP forum members have direct contact to people inside the Premiere developer team? - and if so, would you please make sure they get a chance to evaluate whether to address this bug or not. Thanks
I get the same result as well.
Thanks for responding Rameez.
Just to make things absolutely sure - by same result, you mean the unexpected generic error, everybody else is getting, right?
Yes, i am getting the same generic error.
Good to know.
Since you are Adobe staff. Are you able to inform me / us if this has been logged as a genuine bug that eventually needs attention?
Thanks in advance.
Actually, I can't really offer much insight.
Since you've submitted a bug report, Freeze73, it is officially in the system, and it will be reviewed. Since you've reproduced the bug, Rameez, you also enter a bug report through the internal database.
As to the part about the issue "eventually need[ing] attention," prioritizing which bugs to fix is a judgment call by Premiere's management team.
Thank you Mark for the info and acknowledgment.
That is all I feel I can do for now.
I'll wait with fingers crossed and hope for the best
Happy new year
The work flow makes more sense now. Unfortunately, the reality is that PP has never been especially well suited for off-line editing. It's primarily designed around an on-line work flow.
So until the bug get's fixed, I can think of two 'solutions'. The first is the aforementioned render out of AE, bypassing Dynamic Link. The second is to play to PP's strengths and don't do any editing until you have the final comps done in AE. In other words, start with the actual final media in PP, rather than proxies.
The thing is that I use Premiere to decide how to shot a certain scene / Action.
So I start by setting up a camera in 3dsmax render a preview out, importing it into premiere. Then Premiere helps me decide if I need a extra close up, or when to cut to the next scene. Often times the Premiere dictates what I need next from 3DS Max.
So the animation is pretty much build / edited scene by scene progressively in premiere. Prior to CC this workflow have worked great for many years.
I can work around it, but the bug introduction seem like a surprising step backwards in otherwise great piece of software.
Anyway I hope Adobe will consider addressing the bug in a soon to come update.
Have a nice weekend.