5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2014 8:04 PM by fish614

graduated filter

fish614 Level 1

2 questions.

1. Can you limit the filter to only one side of the photo? That is- shorten the horizontal lines?

2. If you have a sky in the background you want to work with, but people in the foreground (actually was taking photo of friends) How do you use the filter if you do not want the filter to affect the foreground person, object, etcc?

• 1. Re: graduated filter
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, you cannot shorten the lines. You can drag the filter on an angle, but the lines will extend to the edge of the image.

I am assuming that the feature you are looking for will "probably" be included in Lightroom 6 because it is available in Camera Raw for Photoshop CC. After creating your gradient you can use a brush to brush away areas of the gradient. As I said, this feature isn't available in Lightroom yet. But it is in Photoshop CC, and it will allow you to do what you need to do.

If you have Photoshop CC you can create your gradient using Lightroom and then open the image as a smart object and use Camera Raw to brush areas that you want excluded from the gradient.

• 2. Re: graduated filter
            fish614 Level 1

Thanks. I have photoshop cc

Sincerely,

Allen Fishman, M.D.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: graduated filter
              fish614 Level 1

Any chance you can direct me how to open as a smart object and the camera

raw steps?

• 4. Re: graduated filter
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. Right-click on your image and choose "Edit in".

2. Choose "open as smart object in Photoshop".

3. When the image is open in Photoshop, double-click on it in the layers panel. That will open it in Camera Raw.

4. Activate the gradient tool, and then choose Brush in the controls in the upper right. Use the brush to brush away unwanted gradient adjustments.

• 5. Re: graduated filter
                  fish614 Level 1

Thank you again

Sincerely,

Allen Fishman, M.D.

Sent from my iPhone