3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 2:49 PM by cheyrn

playhead separate from cti

cheyrn Level 1

I have done something that makes the current time be somewhere other than the playhead in the timeline panel (I may be using the wrong terminology). Both have always been together before and I thought that was called the current time indicator.

If I press 'j' or 'k' to jump between keyframes, the viewer updates, but the frame number does not, in the timeline. The CTI doesn't move, I guess. If I press 'd', the CTI/thing with a thumb moves to the location being displayed in the viewer.

Do you know how to make the thing with a thumb follow the currently displayed frame?

• 1. Re: playhead separate from cti
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps you have enabled time remapping or applied a temporal effect, but without more info nobody can tell exactly what you did.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: playhead separate from cti
            cheyrn Level 1

In other words, you are unaware of a feature which allows you to control the position of the current time indicator independently of movement to the next/previous visible area. So, I am probably observing some sort of buggy behavior.

• 3. Re: playhead separate from cti
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

If you're certain that your OS is approved for your version of AE, and your machine meets the System Requirements for that version, you might have a bug.  However, I doubt it.

Here's why: I've never, EVER heard about the feature you're alluding to, and I've been using AE since 1996.  To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a playhead in AE.  There's a CTI and that's it.

• 4. Re: playhead separate from cti
                cheyrn Level 1

I found the reason.

If you display keys as a column in the timeline: Column > Keys, the "key navigator", which I gather is what the vertical line is called, moves independently of the CTI.

To, undo it, stop displaying the key column.

the columns are in the timeline panel menu which can be opened by right clicking on a blank area around the columns, in windows anyway. If you have a one button mouse turn away from the computer and click behind you.