10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 9:23 AM by Litelounge

Installing Lightroom 5

Litelounge

Purchased lightroom 5 and does not recognise serial number what next?

• 1. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How did you purchase Lightroom? Was it a boxed set, or was it a download? Do you have a 24 digit serial number, the first four numbers being 1160? If you provide a few details you might get an answer.

• 2. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
            Litelounge Level 1

Sorry I purchased it from a store and it comes with a card and has 24 numbers that when entered produce a red cross meaning zilch happens.  The lack of direct support from Adobe on this site is a joke.  Why would the first 4 numbers be 1160?

• 3. Re: Installing Lightroom 5

You would have to ask the Adobe people. That is just the way the serial numbers work for Lightroom. Do you have a 24 digit serial number, and is the first group of four numbers 1160?

• 4. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
                Litelounge Level 1

Jim, it would be useful to know how you contact the adobe people?  My 24 digit key does not start with 1160. 

• 5. Re: Installing Lightroom 5

Then what you have is probably a redemption code that you must use to obtain your serial number. Your receipt should have instructions as to what you need to do. I have never contacted Adobe customer service. From what I have read it is difficult to get through. But you can try some of the suggestions on the following link to see if that gets you what you need.

Adobe - Search: Contact%20customer%20service

• 6. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
                    Litelounge Level 1

Jim, Many thanks will try some of these numbers tomorrow.

Cheers

• 7. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

Litelounge wrote:

Why would the first 4 numbers be 1160?

Because that's what all Lightroom serial numbers look like.

• 8. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
                        Litelounge Level 1

Yep, sussed it out today,  Yep - it is what all Lightroom serial number look like if you redeem a serial number from Adobe.  However, if you have not been in Adobe before how intuitive it is to sell a card with a 20 digit serial number that you need to go and register to get another 20 digit serial number.  Most people would download lightroom and try to enter the 20 digit serial number on the card they purchased.  For some reason when I sussed that I needed to register and then redeem my 20 digit number for another 20 digit number - it download Lightroom 5.5.  Then I went back into the 5.7 that I downloaded last night and entered now code and now have 5.7...why did it provide 5.5?  Anyway, I should have explained that I purchased my card from shop,  That I was not registered with Adobe and that the 1160 meant jack nothing to me....  If some other eejit asks why would the registration start with 1160 you will know that they have not registered with adobe to redeem their new 20 digit code enabling them to download a slightly older version of Lighroom than what's available.  Learning at 70 that Forums are fab....

• 9. Re: Installing Lightroom 5

I'm not sure what the rant is all about here. There really should have been instructions either in the box or on your receipt telling you what needed to be done. But I'm glad you have it working. At least that's how I read your comment.

• 10. Re: Installing Lightroom 5
                            Litelounge Level 1

Sorry Jim if it seemed like a rant.  You purchase a card from a retailer with no instructions just a 20 digit code.  The meagre and minute card packaging tells you how good the product is...if you can access it.  The receipt provides the price/date and proof or purchase.  The forum gives lots of helpful comments about codes that people like me don't know about.

If your not registered with Adobe, you purchase Lightroom 5 and think the 20 digit number on the card will get you into Lightroom 5 download then it's a real convoluted system. However, once you suss you have to redeem the 20 digit code for another 20 digit code you get Light Room 5.5 when 5.7 is available?  I happen to think Adobe guiding you to a repetitive group of questions or onto a Forum, as opposed to having straightforward support at hand, is not that good for people who into cameras and not computers.

If 'rants' are not allowed on the forum I apologise sincerely.  Good insight sussing I was having a rant though...