16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 5:04 PM by redshojin

5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?

redshojin Level 1

So, I frequently create hour long videos and throw them up on youtube as a hobby of mine. Recently I've been seeing that they're taking a lot longer to export. I mean, before they might get to three hours per video - which I figured was fine, because most of them involved having a track matte mask on a track as well as some resizing and even izotope's Ozone as some audio mastering on it. But they're starting to take 5 hours, and I'm starting to wonder if it's something in Premiere that's changed since an update that's messed with it rendering. I'll post my system specs and my encoding settings...

Computer:

CPU: Intel i7 870 @ 2.93GHz (OCed to 3.53 GHz)
      GPU: GeForce GTX 770
      RAM: 16 GB

Version: Premiere Pro CC 2014

Encoding:

H.264 (mp4)

1920x1080, 60 fps, Progressive, NTSC

Profile: High

Level: 5.2

VBR, 2 Pass

Target Bitrate: 30 Mbps

Maximum Bitrate: 50 Mbps
      Maximum Render Quality

AAC Audio, 48,000 Hz, 320 bitrate, Stereo, High quality

Does this seem about normal for the settings, or should I be getting more of a push from the hardware? Honestly just curious. I've got a friend with similar (slightly worse) specs who renders out videos in Sony Vegas like they're cake (possibly even less than an hour for his videos of same length and resolution/bitrate - unsure of the quality.)

• 1. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The export time depends a lot on what effects you have added. Do you have Cuda Hardware acceleration enabled, this will make a big difference when rendering compatible effects. You could experiment by removing some effects to see if they make a difference in export times, if there is one particular one that is slowing the export down, there might be a better way to achieve the same result.

I once had a caption sequence that took two days to export, then the client spotted a spelling mistake.....

• 2. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
            redshojin Level 1

Oh god. That's vicious. Sorry man.. I do have the CUDA hardware engine enabled, so that's pretty much fine. The only non-stock effect in there is Ozone.. rendering out a 5 hour long project over and over to see what makes a difference is not really my idea of a good time.. I guess I could just try to render a bunch of 10 minute videos and see if there's anything bogging it down.. Will return with those tests.

• 3. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Turn off MAX RENDER QUALITY, that is helpful only with downscaling, which you are not doing.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 4. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Have you tuned your computer for Video Editing?

Do you have more than one disk drive?

Have you turned off compressio?

Is any disk drive more than 50-60% full?

• 5. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                  Peferling Level 4

+1 with Mr. Gehrke, and others with respect to the FX stack, etc. 

A few additional things:

1) Is windows automatic update running in the background?

2) Is you anti-virus running in the background?

3) PPro's initial time to render values are not very accurate from the onset, give it some time to calculate some real numbers.

4) Sometimes I'll have a heavy handed project that will require a ton of FX to be processed.  In which case, I will create a cuts only edit, saving treatments, etc. for a second round/pass as a new project for finishing, (Kinda like rendering an EDL with a client).  This also includes replacing AE comps with rendered clips, so PPro doesn't have to open up AE in the background to render out those sections.  Sometimes that's not always possible, and wind up with a heavy FX laden moster.  In that case, I'll render uncompressed.  Close PPro, and render that uncompressed file to a compressed final in AME.  Whatever I can do to limit the resource footprint.  Finally, I've had a few files that were under ten minutes in duration, and it wanted an hour to render.  So be it.  I took a lunch break and moved on.

• 6. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                    SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Have you tried simply using the existing H.264 YouTube preset rather than the "Beyond Blu-ray" specs you are currently using? Does the content you are uploading warrant 60p (action/sports) or might 30p be fine?

Thanks

Jeff

• 7. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?

Great idea Jeff, to get down to the KISS level. 

My H.264 Blu-ray exports rarely ever take anything more than realtime and I am on a i7-980 which is almost as old as the i7-870

• 8. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                        redshojin Level 1

Really? Interesting.. What does that setting do anyways (max render quality)? I am downscaling a little with a resized picture-in-picture clip. Will that effect quality at all? I assumed Max Render Quality actually helps with rendering out a better video in any case, but if it only applies to downscaling/upscaling I could probably leave it off I guess.

• 9. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                          redshojin Level 1

I have not gone through that guide, though I will do so soon to see if it does help.

I only have one disc drive.. unless you mean hard disc, in which case yes, I've got more than one hard drive. All internal (connected via sata - the drive being rendered to is 7200rpm. Unfortunately, it's also the drive the footage is being read off of.)

Turned off compressio? You mean compression? On the disc drive? On the video? I've never rendered uncompressed video, though I don't think h.264 even supports that, and I wouldn't even know where to start with the hard drive compressing files.. I don't think I have anything like that though.

I have a few hard drives more than 50% full.

• 10. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                            redshojin Level 1

1. As in, is it actually updating? No. I don't turn the program that checks for updates off though.

2. Yes, my anti-virus is running, though I don't think it's set to actively scan anything but the main drive (not where the footage/rendering file is.)

3. 5 hours is the time after the video has been rendered.

4. If the rendering just is going to take that long, that's fine. Just wondering if I've done something wrong with my settings.

• 11. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                              redshojin Level 1

Interestingly enough, the bitrate I chose was going off of youtube's recommended bitrate for higher class internet speeds. Uploading the file after isn't really a problem for me, and I honestly enjoy the higher quality file I get from it in the end. The youtube preset on h.264 does actually degrade quite a bit in quality once youtube has it's way with encoding it again.

I'm rendering gameplay footage recorded at 60fps, and I'd like to keep it 60fps in the end.

• 12. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                                Peferling Level 4

My experience for h.264 (match high quality settings) have always been near realtime for cuts only and light FX.   Create a new project with just one minute of video in sequence and render that under different settings as suggested and see what results you get.  Find what works best to get as close to 1:1 for your system.

• 13. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?

redshojin wrote:

Really? Interesting.. What does that setting do anyways (max render quality)? I am downscaling a little with a resized picture-in-picture clip. Will that effect quality at all? I assumed Max Render Quality actually helps with rendering out a better video in any case, but if it only applies to downscaling/upscaling I could probably leave it off I guess.

Maximum Render Quality only has to be used if you do not have GPU hardware acceleration.  Using GPU hardware acceleration produces better quality than CPU only.

Turned off compressio? You mean compression? On the disc drive?

Sorry about that but what I really meant was turn off indexing on all disk drives which is checked by default.  Compression of course should not be used either.

• 14. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                                    redshojin Level 1

Alrighty.. here's what my testing looks like. All the sequences are the same footage, 1 minute long. The only things changed are the inclusion of the PIP track (which has a track matte and resizing on it), and the inclusion of my mastering VST, and then the inclusion of other VST effects. The youtube preset is my custom super high bitrate one. Custom preset is the same only with max render quality disabled. And the final preset is the typical match settings high bitrate. Gonna run it through the gambit!testing.PNG

• 15. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                                      redshojin Level 1

Here is the log... (It's quite long..) The bitrate is indeed what's causing most of the hiccups. Turning off max render quality lowers the encoding time by about 50% of the video time - so thank you for that. Lowering the bitrate (by using one of the predefined presets) does knock off a huge chunk of the encoding time, HOWEVER - there is a very clear drop in quality. Lots of pixelation, and this will be even more noticeable once youtube has it's way with encoding. Here's the log:

12/27/2014 02:31:31 PM : Queue Started

- Source File: M:\Videos\Capvid\Let's Plays\Borderlands\Borderlands_1.prproj

- Output File: M:\12-youtube.mp4

- Preset Used: Youtube

- Video: 1920x1080 (1.0), 60 fps, Progressive, 00:01:00:28

- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

- Bitrate: VBR, 2 pass, Target 30.00 Mbps, Max 50.00 Mbps

- Encoding Time: 00:05:51

12/27/2014 02:37:22 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nozone-youtube.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:06:10

12/27/2014 02:43:33 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12novsts-youtube.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:05:53

12/27/2014 02:49:26 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nopip-youtube.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:05:03

12/27/2014 02:54:30 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nothing-youtube.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:05:02

12/27/2014 02:59:33 PM : File Successfully Encoded

12/27/2014 02:59:33 PM : Queue Stopped

12/27/2014 03:02:48 PM : Queue Started

- Output File: M:\12-nomaxrender.mp4

- Preset Used: Custom

- Encoding Time: 00:05:28

12/27/2014 03:08:16 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nozone-nomaxrender.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:05:10

12/27/2014 03:13:27 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12novsts-nomaxrender.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:05:11

12/27/2014 03:18:38 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nopip-nomaxrender.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:05:03

12/27/2014 03:23:42 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nothing-nomaxrender.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:04:56

12/27/2014 03:28:38 PM : File Successfully Encoded

12/27/2014 03:28:39 PM : Queue Stopped

12/27/2014 03:49:00 PM : Queue Started

- Output File: M:\12-highbitrate.mp4

- Preset Used: Match Source - High bitrate

- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 10.00 Mbps, Max 12.00 Mbps

- Encoding Time: 00:02:25

12/27/2014 03:51:26 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nozone-highbitrate.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:02:21

12/27/2014 03:53:47 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12novsts-highbitrate.mp4

12/27/2014 03:56:09 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nopip-highbitrate.mp4

12/27/2014 03:58:31 PM : File Successfully Encoded

- Output File: M:\12nothing-highbitrate.mp4

- Encoding Time: 00:02:19

12/27/2014 04:00:51 PM : File Successfully Encoded

12/27/2014 04:00:51 PM : Queue Stopped

• 16. Re: 5 1/2 Hour encoding for an hour video?
                                        redshojin Level 1

Though, now I'm rendering a few pieces of footage, and they've taking 5 hours a piece (hour long slices of footage), AND they're rendering to a low bitrate/resolution WMV. I send these files to a friend to do a picture-in-picture setup, but holy crap. 5 hours to render something less than 450 pixels wide, and at 700 kbps? Something is wrong.