3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2007 10:00 PM by Newsgroup_User

FIREWORKS: 256 colors throughout a document

Fireworks_forever
      Hi!
      I am working with a Fireworks document that has appr 200 layers. Each layer is a separate screen shot so when the first (top) one is seen, the second one is hidden, and so on. I now want to export all the layers to separate files (BMP) and I want all of them to be based on the same 256 color palette that I created.

However, it seems like Fireworks doesn't care about the colors that are hidden under the top layers and as soon as I make the lower layers visible (by hiding any of the top ones), it redraws the color palette by adding the "new" colors from these previously hidden layers.

Is there any way around this? Can I force Fireworks to use ONLY the same 256 colors for EVERY layer in the whole document? Right now it seems to me the only way around it is to spread out all the layers on a huge canvas but I'm really hoping there is a better way!

I would really appreciate a reply to this! Kindest regards
      /Magnus
      Interaction Designer
        • 1. Re: FIREWORKS: 256 colors throughout a document
          Level 7
          Have you tried saving the color palette as an ACT file, then loading it
          as a custom indexed palette?

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Fireworker_in_need wrote:
          > Hi!
          > I am working with a Fireworks document that has appr 200 layers. Each layer is
          > a separate screen shot so when the first (top) one is seen, the second one is
          > hidden, and so on. I now want to export all the layers to separate files (BMP)
          > and I want all of them to be based on the same 256 color palette that I created.
          >
          > However, it seems like Fireworks doesn't care about the colors that are hidden
          > under the top layers and as soon as I make the lower layers visible (by hiding
          > any of the top ones), it redraws the color palette by adding the "new" colors
          > from these previously hidden layers.
          >
          > Is there any way around this? Can I force Fireworks to use ONLY the same 256
          > colors for EVERY layer in the whole document? Right now it seems to me the only
          > way around it is to spread out all the layers on a huge canvas but I'm really
          > hoping there is a better way!
          >
          > I would really appreciate a reply to this! Kindest regards
          > /Magnus
          > Interaction Designer
          >
          • 2. Re: FIREWORKS: 256 colors throughout a document
            Fireworks_forever Level 1
            Thanks for the reply.
            However I was a bit unclear.
            My aim is to generate the palette from all the colors used in the document. Hence, when Fireworks creates the palette I want it to search all the hidden layers for the colors that are used in the document. My problem is that it does not search the hidden layers but only the currently visible one.

An example: I have a layer in shades of grey and a layer (above it, covering it) in shades of blue. I want my generated palette to pay attention to both the blue and the grey tones but it only notices the blue ones.

Can Fireworks in some way go through the whole document in this way?

Kindest regards

Magnus
            • 3. Re: FIREWORKS: 256 colors throughout a document
              Level 7
              Fireworker_in_need wrote:
              > Thanks for the reply.
              > However I was a bit unclear.
              > My aim is to generate the palette from all the colors used in the document.
              > Hence, when Fireworks creates the palette I want it to search all the hidden
              > layers for the colors that are used in the document. My problem is that it does
              > not search the hidden layers but only the currently visible one.
              >
              > An example: I have a layer in shades of grey and a layer (above it, covering
              > it) in shades of blue. I want my generated palette to pay attention to both the
              > blue and the grey tones but it only notices the blue ones.
              >
              > Can Fireworks in some way go through the whole document in this way?
              >
              > Kindest regards
              >
              > Magnus
              >

You can't do it with layers - as far as I know. Here's a bit of a
              roundabout way, but the only method I can think of is this:

Select all your layers in the layers panel
              In the Frames Panel, choose Distribute to Frames
              Choose Animated GIF as the optimize format
              Press the Rebuild palette button
              Save the palette so you can reuse it, if you like
              When you export, choose Frames to Files.

I tried this with a sample of two images, and it seemed to work.

That said, if you're going to export each of the 200 layers/frames as a
              separate image, making a palette like this may still result in images
              that suffer from quality issues, because the palette will be divided
              between so many images.

HTH

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver