7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 7:10 AM by trshaner

Buy now or wait for LR 6.

Steveatesh Level 1

Hi new to these forums, I'm considering buying the lifetime license version of Lightroom ( I'm not interested in the CC) but am aware that LR 6 is due out in March.

i Will be using it on a retina imac, just a hobby not for business.

is there any good reason to wait until 6 comes out ( ie better use of GPU to suit the retina imac, for example) or should I buy Now?

IF the the likely changes are not significant I would just buy now, but if there are likely to any major improvements then I'd wait. I'd consider big jump in speed on a retina imac worth waiting for.

THanks in anticipation.

• 1. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.
          BKKDon Level 4

HI,

That is a personal decision, no one knows what V6 will bring or when it will be released and those that know cannot tell because of non-disclosure agreements.

My advice is use what suits your needs.

• 2. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

There's no guarantee that we'll see Lr 6 in March.

As to what it will bring to the table - your guess is as good as anyone's, Steve. Anyone who knows is bound by NDAs not to say anything.

Bottom line - only you can decide whether Lr 5 now, or Lr 6 eventually, is the right decision for you - but it's a decision you'll have to make in the absence of any definitive knowledge of Lr 6's timescales or likely improvements.

• 3. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Something else to consider if you purchase the "lifetime" license. You will be able to keep Lightroom current until that version of Lightroom (i.e. 5, 6, etc.) is replaced with yet a newer version. When that happens, your "lifetime" license is now for software that is obsolete, unsupported by Adobe, and any new features and cameras introduced after that point will not be part of your Lightroom. It requires a paid upgrade in order to keep current.

Subscribing to the creative cloud eliminates those types of problems because you will always have access to the latest developments in Lightroom and Photoshop. It's your choice, of course. You have every right to purchase the perpetual license. But, personally, I don't think you are purchasing the security that you are expecting. The creative cloud plan really is nice, in my opinion.

• 4. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Hopefully without turning this into a pro/anti CC discussion, I agree completely, Jim - that's what I'm doing: running the stand-alone Lr until 6 is released, at which point I'll simply uninstall the stand-alone 5.x, open up CC Desktop and download/install 6.

• 5. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.

I don't want to start an argument either, Keith. But I'm just curious to know why you are running the standalone version of Lightroom 5.x .

• 6. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

No particular reason at all, Jim - it's working fine (although I know that the CC version will too), so I suppose it's just that I haven't yet seen the need to go CC for Lr.

• 7. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.

Interesting. I went ahead and switched as soon as I signed up. It was a simple uninstall/reinstall. The installation of the creative cloud version put an icon on my desktop just like the "regular" installation. I double-clicked and I was right back where I had been working with everything in place. But I guess if the standalone is working fine, if it ain't broke........

• 8. Re: Buy now or wait for LR 6.
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

steveatesh wrote:

Hi new to these forums, I'm considering buying the lifetime license version of Lightroom ( I'm not interested in the CC) but am aware that LR 6 is due out in March.

From a dollars and sense (pun) perspective why not purchase the CC Photography plan now for $9.99/month?

You can cancel it within the first 30-days and get your $9.99 refunded, or simply keep the plan until LR6 is released and make your decision. At the most we're talking 3-4 months or a $30 to $40 expense. This way you get to use LR5 and PS CC today! You'll be in a much better position to make an "educated" decision when LR6 is released on which product (perpetual vs CC) best suits your needs.