3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 8:09 PM by A.T. Romano

Sony camcorder MPEG2 (.mpg) codec?

kenharsh

I bought Premiere Elements for Sony (HDR-CX150) camcorder MPEG2 (.mpg) videos, but the MPEG-2 files give an error "system does not have the required compressor / decompressor (codec) installed".  Where do I find a codec, and how do I install it?

(I am running a new Windows 8.1 PC, with plenty of space/memory.  These files run fine on the same PC in Sony PlayMemories.  I thought Premiere Elements supported MPEG2 .mpg imports?)

• 1. Re: Sony camcorder MPEG2 (.mpg) codec?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kenharsh

Please confirm....is the problem importing MPEG.mpg files a Premiere Elements 13 project on Windows 8.1 64 bit  (Add Media/Files and Folders) or are you dealing with importing  or playback of these files in the Elements Organizer 13?

More later once we have the requested information. This may be more a Windows 8 or 8.1 issue than a Premiere Elements one.

What players do you have installed on your Windows 8 or 8.1 computer - Windows Media Player, QuickTime, VCL Player, Media Classic HC, or other? What is this Sony PlayMemories?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Sony camcorder MPEG2 (.mpg) codec?
            kenharsh Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the reply!  Actually, I got the codec error when trying to play the MPEG2 file in either Premiere Elements 13 or in Elements Organizer 13.

With some research, I think I made progress:   I found and downloaded a "VLC Codec Pack" on downloads.com (CNet), plus updated my version to the latest level of Elements (through the help menu), and rebooted.  Now I can run the MPEG2 files in Premiere Elements 13 and Elements Organizer 13 (and in Windows Media Player)!

Premiere Elements has video and sound, but Elements Organizer only has video (no sound).  Not as big a deal, but any other thoughts?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Sony camcorder MPEG2 (.mpg) codec?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kenharsh

Sounds like great progress. Great job.

There is no Premiere Elements 13 Editor or Elements Organizer 13 Update, except for Camera Raw. At this time, the Help Menu/Update will update the Camera Raw 8.6.0.354 that comes with the program to 8.7.1. The Camera Raw plug-in relates to raw image format. The installation allows the Premiere Elements 13 user to import raw image format and dng into the Premiere Elements 13 project....no editing the raw image format in the Camera Raw dialog there. The latter when you have Photoshop Elements 13 installed.

What is the audio format for the MPEG2 files that play only the video part of the file and not the audio in the Elements Organizer 13 player? By any chance, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)? Please consider installing the Media Player Classic HC Player and determine if that makes a difference to that situation.

http://mpc-hc.org/

What is the file extension of those MPEG2 files - .m2t, .m2ts, or .mpg?

Thanks.

ATR