Screenshots would help
Take that background out of the MSO.
Do you mean return the background to a regular object? The character and background are separate objects. The character is a regular object. The background is a MSO.
The character should be a static object but the MSO should have no background at all. You cannot have a static object over an interactive object.
None of the objects have backgrounds. There is an object that is functioning as a backdrop, but it's just a multi-state object that rotates between different PNG images. It's not interactive itself; the buttons to change the background image are the thumbnails below it in the screenshot, so those are clickable. Both the character and the background are visible (and the background is functional) if I hide the top few layers of clothes.
edit: uploaded the file with fewer layers here. The character and backdrop are visible and the thumbnails successfully change the backdrop, but I had to hide about half the clothing objects.
Sorry. But without seeing the file it’s nearly impossible to guess. This
should work but I would question the use of SWF for the web.
It's just a SWF sitting on a web page. I'm not sure what would be wrong with that.
I appreciate your time, and if it would help I can upload the packaged file to a Google Drive so it can be downloaded. Either way, I'd still like to hear if anyone else has experienced something similar or has any ideas.
I tend to agree with Bob about not using Flash (SWF). It would not be usable if someone is trying to view the website on iOS or Android devices (smartphones and tablets). Flash has never been supported on iOS, and Adobe no longer distributes Flash for Android devices. Furthermore, increasingly large numbers of Windows/Mac users actively disable Flash because of problems with security breaches.
Package it and post a link, but again, you might find doing this type of
thing in Edge Animate to more effective.
In fact, with in5 from ajarproductions.com you could export the MSO as
HTML5 which would not only work well on all devices but would be far
smaller in size.
I understand and appreciate your concerns with my using Flash, but this is just a paper doll that will get uploaded to deviantArt and ComicFury for the people who read my friend's webcomic. It's something that I'm doing with the software I have in the way I know how, for a friend, for fun. If you think the problem I'm experiencing may lie in this being a SWF, I'd be interested in looking into these alternatives, but I'd obviously prefer not to start this project over, learn how to use one of the programs you suggested, and figure out how to get this thing onto my friend's website if I can just do some quick fix and make my Flash file.
I can see the problem on your website.
Hm, I downloaded your InDesign document with all the assets and exported to SWF.
No problem found by running it with a.) Flash Player 220.127.116.11 or b.) inside a browser (Firefox 34.0.5) from the desktop.
I used InDesign 7.5.3 (German) on Mac OSX 10.7.5. (German).
As I can see from "About InDesign" holding the cmd-key and looking into the document history, you are not patched to the latest version of InDesign CS5.5. which is version 18.104.22.1683. You created the document in 22.214.171.124 on OSX 10.9.5. I guess the export to SWF was a little bit buggy at that stage.
So my recommendation is: Update to 7.5.3 and try again…
Hi Laubender! Thanks for the response!
I updated to 7.5.3 and was really hopeful, but it hasn't fixed the problem. The file you downloaded was saved with some objects hidden, so you may have exported it that way. But at least I got a software update out of it!
If it helps to know in any way, I have to turn off exactly 5 objects for both the character and background to appear. If there are 4 hidden, the character appears but not the background. I've also discovered that the bottom 3 clothing objects do not appear when their button is clicked, but for each upper object hidden one of the lower ones comes back. Only the objects in Layer 1 seem connected to this problem. Hiding the button objects from the upper layers has no effect. (In the packaged file, there are about 4 groups of objects hidden. I had just done this to make the SWF file where the character and background are visible, not checking to see exactly how many had to be hidden.) I've also deleted two <rectangle> objects that are behind the locked <square> object. This had no effect, but I'm going to leave them out anyway. I do hope to find a solution, but I guess worst case scenario is telling my friend we have to cut 5 clothing items.
Thanks again! I'm still holding out hope!
Hi again! I think I've discovered at least a work-around. Since the problem was the number of multi-state objects stacked on top of each other I tried to think of ways to lessen the number. In the first iteration of this project I had all hats combined into one MSO, all shirts in another, etc. I scrapped this because certain shirts didn't overlap right with certain gloves etc, so making each object separate and activated by a unique button seemed like the way to go. So now I've gone back and any different styles that can be combined into one object are. This reduced the number of separate objects enough that the character and background are now visible!
Thanks again to those who offered help!