5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2007 9:31 AM by Tim Will Do It

Learning Action Scripting

mikeygilbert23_nap
      What is the best way to teach yourself Action Scripting? Suggestions please... thanks all
        • 1. Re: Learning Action Scripting
          SymTsb Level 2
          Read a book and follow along with any examples given. Start small and build up from there. Don't get ahead of yourself and try to do the complex examples before building your base.
          • 2. Re: Learning Action Scripting
            Level 7
            >> What is the best way to teach yourself Action Scripting?

> Read a book and follow along with any examples given.
            > Start small and build up from there. Don't get ahead of
            > yourself and try to do the complex examples before
            > building your base.

I couldn't have said it better. That's a truly important point, about
            starting small and building from there. Get too complex at the beginning,
            and you have no idea what's wrong when an error (or several errors)
            sprout(s) up. On the other hand, if you've mastered each individual
            component of the whole, debugging becomes much easier (though still often a
            challenge!).

In addition to SymTsb's advice, I recommend you get to know the
            ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference. It's an intimidating reference for
            many beginners, probably because it seems so big -- "Where do I begin?" --
            and yet, it is closely organized around something called classes, and
            classes define every object you encounter in ActionScript, so it's actually
            a very straightforward.

http://www.quip.net/blog/2006/flash/tackling-the-actionscript-20-language-reference

David Stiller
            Adobe Community Expert
            Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Re: Learning Action Scripting
              Rothrock Level 5
              Ask questions on the forums, and whatever Chris, David, kglad, NSurveyor and urami tell you to do, "Do it." Well except urami, sometimes she is just mean! :) But really there is always something in there too. (I kid ya' cos I love ya', really.)

There are a lot of other great folks here and I'm sorry if my old brain is forgetting anybody!

And SymTsb is correct. Make lots of little experiments. Pick a class and imagine what you could do with it. Try and build something that isn't too complex until you understand how that class works. Then do another. Finally do something that puts two together.

For example do just a simple bit of playing around with MovieClips. Learn to set different properties. Maybe how to add a dynamic onRollOver or such.

Then do another tutorial on Arrays. Learn how to add things to an array, select different things from an array.

Next you could combine the two and learn how to show different MovieClips by stepping through and array.

Then, maybe a MovieClipLoader tutorial. Understand how to load a single external file. Understand the onLoadInit event handler.

Then put it all together and have a dynamic gallery. If you try and start with the dynamic gallery it would be pretty overwhelming.
              • 4. Re: Learning Action Scripting
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                i learned all the basics from reading questions and answers on this forum. after lurking for a few months, i started reading questions and trying to figure out how to solve the posters problem playing with flash. and sometimes i could figure out how to solve the poster's problem and i answered. and the more i answered the more i learned.
                • 5. Re: Learning Action Scripting
                  Tim Will Do It
                  Well...after reading this post and all the responses, I'm gratified to know that I'm on the right track because everything you all suggested to the poster is exactly what I've been doing. I go home with a lot of headaches at the end of the day, but I've always learned a lot and I've actually written a couple of (working) Actionscripts. I'm excited about all my baby steps.