3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2014 7:51 AM by cc_merchant

Budget RAID Solution?

barker85 Level 1

Hi there,

I'm working on a large project (almost 20TB of 4K RED footage on 10x 2TB drives) and am looking for a budget RAID solution for this.

I've never configured a RAID so am unsure what the best/cheapest option would be. Perhaps three of these might suffice? http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com...&keywords=RAID

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated. Many thanks...

• 1. Re: Budget RAID Solution?
          cc_merchant Level 4

Tweakers Page - To Raid or not to Raid

The cheap solution you came up with is ill advised. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

For precious source material you don't want a raid0. If one disk fails, you lose everything. You want a reliable parity raid3/5 with a hot-spare or a raid6.

Provided your system has free PCIe lanes (X79 or X99) you can add a PCIe raid controller, but if you have a CPU with a 115x socket, you can't add a raid controller without reducing your video card from PCIe-16x to PCIe-8x, thus reducing performance significantly.

With 10 disks your only sensible solution is a hardware controller with 12 ports, something like areca ARC-1883ix-12-4G PCI-Express 3.0 x8 SAS RAID Adapter - Newegg.com

• 2. Re: Budget RAID Solution?
            barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info.

Unfortunately the hardware controller you have suggested is far beyond my budget.

I have been using USB3 drives, which (aside from minor problems) have been okay until recently (Premiere now crashes almost every time I try to link media, thus absolutely ruining productivity - which apparently may be due to USB3), which is why I am looking for an affordable RAID solution.

Do you think the cheap solution I have suggested will at least work/be approaching adequate?

P.S. if a RAID 0 "fails" - does this mean that only data is erased, or does it actually destroy all the drives?

• 3. Re: Budget RAID Solution?
              cc_merchant Level 4

What happens when one of more of my disks fail?

Actually, it is simple. Single disks or single level striped arrays will lose all data. And that means that you have to replace the failed disk and then restore the lost data from a backup before you can continue your editing. This situation can become extremely bothersome if you consider the following scenario:

At 09:00 you start editing and you finish editing by 17:00 and have a planned backup scheduled at 21:00, like you do every day. At 18:30 one of your disks fails, before your backup has been made. All your work from that day is lost, including your auto-save files, so a complete day of editing is irretrievably lost. You only have the backup from the previous day to restore your data, but that can not be done before you have installed a new disk.

This kind of scenario is not unheard of and even worse, this usually happens at the most inconvenient time, like on Saturday afternoon before a long weekend and you can only buy a new disk on Tuesday...(sigh).

That is the reason many opt for a mirrored or parity array, despite the much higher cost (dedicated raid controller, extra disks and lower performance than a striped array). They buy safety, peace-of-mind and a more efficient work-flow.

Consider the same scenario as above and again one disk fails.  No worry, be happy!! No data lost at all and you could continue editing, making the last changes of the day. Your planned backup will proceed as scheduled and the next morning you can continue editing, after having the failed disk replaced. All your auto-save files are intact as well.

The chances of two disks failing simultaneously are extremely slim, but if cost is no object and safety is everything, some consider using a raid6 array to cover that eventuality. See the article quoted at the top.

from the article linked to above.

Your solution is cheap, no doubt about that, but also very risky, especially with 20 TB of source material and no better than a software raid0 in Windows.