Layer mask are normally created for the layers content. You could create an action that would duplicate the bottom visible layer then toggle off the visibility of all other visible layers off then add a layer mask like a luminosity mask the toggle the other visible layers back on. You need to realize Actions often have dependencies If the document you pay the action on does not meet them the action will fail to play the way yo expect it to. For example id you select the backfround layer by name and duplicate it. If the action is played on does not have a background layer the action will fail. Of if it has many layers and the background layer visibility is off the duplicate lat will also have its visibility off.
Creating actions that will work well on just about and document takes knowledge and planing and experience. A little reading me be helpful.
Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
- Action Actions Palette Tips.txt
- Action Creation Guidelines.txt
- Action Dealing with Image Size.txt
- Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt
- CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action
- Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file.
- More then a dozen Scripts for use in actions
Thanks JJ. Appreciate the response and info.