6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2014 3:04 PM by A.T. Romano

.3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13

cobia5

How can I play back .3GP files in Premiere Elements 13? It says I need to install a codec first to play. Where can I download a compatible codec for Premiere Elements 13?

• 1. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Where are you trying to play back these .3GP files - Premiere Elements 13 Editor or in Elements Organizer 13?

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

ATR

• 2. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Add On....

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/supported-devices-file-formats.html

ATR

• 3. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Please also refer to my previous posts (1 and 2) in your thread...

I just obtained a sample .3gp file and imported it into Premiere Elements 13 Editor on Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I have the latest version of QuickTime installed on that computer as well as other players such as

Windows Media Player

VLC Player

Media Player Classic HC

The import did go through a few steps (newly installed Premiere Elements 13)...Activating of component message followed by

some User Account Control pop ups for Microsoft Windows.

Please let us know if the latest version of QuickTime allowed you to import your .3gp files in Premiere Elements 13 Editor.

After import of the .3gp file into Premiere Elements 13 Editor, a copy was automatically placed in the Elements Organizer 13.

When I right clicked the thumbnail for the file there and selected Update Thumbnail, an image from the file appeared in the Thumbnail.

Next, I was able to playback the file in the Elements Organizer 13 player.

ATR

• 4. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
                cobia5 Level 1

I am trying to view a .3gp file in Elements Organizer, using a Windows 8.1 (64bit) operating system. I have also noticed Elements Organizer 13 does not play the following file types: .3g2 or .VOB.

I have Quicktime version 7.7.6 (the latest installed on my computer). I can play the files in the Quicktime program, although unable to open from Elements Organizer 13 program.

• 5. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
                  cobia5 Level 1

I found part of the problem; since this was a new install of Elements 13, the files needed to be played in Premiere Elements 13 before they could be recognized in Elements Organizer 13. The files are now visible in Elements 13 although there is no sound. When played in Premiere Elements 13 they have sound, but not when played in Elements Organizer 13. Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

For the following 3gp file I am getting playback of video and audio in Premiere Elements 13 Editor and only video playback in the Elements Organizer 13.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201549

See if you get the same results with it.

Note: This particular 3gp file uses MPEG-4 Video (mp4v) video compression and samr: AMR Narrowband audio compression.

Also, please look at the following scenarios and then let me know if it makes any difference in the results obtained....

1. This 3gp file is not in Elements Organizer to start.

2. Open Premiere Elements 13 Editor project to its Expert workspace and import the 3gp file using Add Media/Files and Folders.

Then drag the file from Project Assets to the Timeline (Video Track 1/Audio Track 1). Does the file play back with video and audio there?.

3. Open the Elements Organizer 13. When you imported the file into the Premiere Elements 13 Editor, a copy of the file was automatically

placed in the Elements Organizer 13.

a. If you right click the file's thumbnail in Elements Organizer 13, do you see a video image in the thumbnail?

b. If you double click the thumbnail do you get play back of video and audio?

4. If you repeat the same thing with a DVD video file (VTS_01_1.VOB),

a. video and sound in Premiere Elements 13 Editor?

b. video and sound in Elements Organizer 13?

In the case of the VOB, my results were

Premiere Elements 13 Editor...playback video and audio

Elements Organizer 13...playback of video but no audio

This file uses MPEG2 video compression and Dolby Digital audio.

Can you confirm the video and audio compression used by your 3gp files...please see GSpot codec utility.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: .3GP codec needed for Premiere Elements 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

I did not see your reply until after I had posted my latest one.

The Elements Organizer sound issue is a current matter of discussion among the users of the program.

I am looking into the idea that lack of Dolby Digital support might be involved. Others have pointed to Elements Organizer

13 (64 bit) not recognizing QuickTime (32 bit) as suggested in its Help Menu/System Information readout. Lots going on, no answers yet

from PRE_help yet.

ATR