3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2014 10:01 AM by A.T. Romano

"Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working"

esabzb

I got a copy of Premiere Elements 13 on "Black Friday" (one month ago).  I am using stabilization and sometimes get "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working".  I have been guessing at the problem and run several experiments - one being; stabilize a clip in it's own project and create an MP4 to use in the final project.  The latest clip seems to render fine, but crashes on playback (sometimes this happened on version 12 but not so consistently and often.  I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, with 6GB RAM, 3.30GHz, Intel Core i3 - 4 core processor.  I use two monitors with the built-in video hardware.  Rendering max's out all four cores while stabilization taxes the RAM.  Where can I look to find out more details about this problem (only guessing with anything less)?  Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

esabzb

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 64 bit....

The Shake Stabilizer of Premiere Elements 13 does come with its considerations. Have you read the Adobe document on Shake Stabilizer and the recommendations for its use (bottom of document)?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/shake-stabilizer.html

Please review and consider, and then we can discuss this further if your answer is not found in that document and its recommendation for use of the Shake Stabilizer.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working"
            esabzb Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the reply and link.  I read the link over very carefully. 

Another post suggested that there is a known problem with rendering stabilized clips.  It suggested stabilizing a clip in another project, creating a computer export (I am creating MP4's) and then adding that media back into the target project.  I did this.  Now that all the stabilized clips are out of my final project, things seem to be working OK (no "...stopped working messages" - so far). 

Creating a separate project for stabilizing seems to be the suggestion from the link as well - final bullet.  However, it's not clear what is meant by comparing project setting vs clip settings.  How is this checked?

Also, you may know: For a "...has stopped working" message, where can detail be found about what exactly has failed that is cause the program to stop working.  I'm sure it can be any number of things depending on the current state of the project.   Do you know where I should look to find something like a log file?  

My next step is to add some adjustments (gamma correction, temperature and tint) and effects (transitions).  I hope all of these are compatible and don't have to be done outboard in stand-alone projects as well.   

Ray

• 3. Re: "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working"
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ray

Thanks for the reply with further details and results.

The generalization is that you (manually) or the project (automatically) sets the project preset to match the properties of the source media.

But, if you have more than one format to import, you can still import that "atypical" format into the project (a project cannot have more than one project preset). But, the Shake Stabilizer will not stabilize it since it's properties do not match the description of the project preset. You can easily understand this by looking at the description of the project preset that has been set for the project and comparing it with specification of your video source. But, I have not yet found that such a situation creates a project/program "stopped working" as in shutting down the project/program.

I suspect a major factor when you run into a Shake Stabilized induced project/program shutdown is computer resource demands of the feature for the video which is requiring the stabilization. And, I have found that the stabilization times can be long.

Consequently, if the Shake Stabilizer does not cause the project/program to shutdown when asked to stabilize a video clip (without other effects). I am very guarded in the outcome, especially stabilization times, when the Shake Stabilizer is asked to stabilize a video clip to which other effects have already been applied.

We will looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR