8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2014 11:15 AM by Yvonne van Dalen

Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker

Yvonne van Dalen

Hi, I am currently using the Photography CC license (single user) and I am looking for a way to have a sharing solution, so my co-worker can acces my Lightroom files and work in the Lightroom catalog/archive simultaneously.

Thanks for brainstorming with me.

Kind regards,

Yvonne van Dalen

www.vavavonne.nl

@vavavonne

• 1. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes you can share your Lightroom preferences, although I don't see how this helps you meet the stated goal of having your co-worker access your files and catalog.

• 2. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Just some thoughts,

1. Lightroom image files can be stored almost any where internal HDD; external HDD fire wire or usb on even on a network  drive.

2. The Lightroom Catalog File and the Preview files need to reside in the same folder in a HDD with physical connection to the computer e.g internal, external with firewire / usb connection. However not on a network.

3. While Lightroom is open and using a particular Catalog File a temporary file is created  with the catalog name and a .lock (LOCK) extension. This is to ensure there is no other user can access the Catalog file. The temporary lock file is automatically removed when Lightroom is shut down.

• 3. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
              areohbee Level 5

When you say "share", do you really mean simultaneous access of the same preference file, or are you talking about one-at-a-time, without a song-n'-dance in between, or..

I mean, you shouldn't be accessing the same preference file at the same time, e.g. via networked location (you could, if you knew how, but, well, don't..). That said, you could periodically copy it from some "master" location to a "slave" location and share that way.

But I recommend caution when using the same preference file on a different system - preference file is used by Lightroom proper *and* all your plugins, and there is NO restriction to what data may be stored there, which means system-dependent data will sometimes be stored there. How well Lr or a plugin will cope if data created for one system is being used on another, depends.. For example, Lr stores catalog backup location in preference file. If same backup location does not exist on a system, it will resort to a default location instead - nothing particularly bad about that, unless user A stored their location which user B tried to use, and then user B stored their location which screwed A next time.. - thus the reason I recommend master/slave relationship, so one user's copy is the master and the other user has to make do (or make requests..).

• 4. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                Yvonne van Dalen Level 1

thanks @dj_paige: I am sorry, I pressed "send" and noticed my mistake in the question. "Preferences" should have been "catalog"...

• 5. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                  dj_paige Level 9

You can't share a catalog between two individuals and have the file opened simultaneously by both. Lightroom was designed to prevent this, it was not designed to be a multi-user application.

If, you want to work on a specific subset of photos, and at the same time your co-worker is going to work on a totally different subset of photos, you could indeed accomplish that (but before I type in the instructions, is that what you want to do?)

• 6. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                    Yvonne van Dalen Level 1

Yes, dj_paige, that is exactly what I am looking for. Since I am no longer working alone, but with a full-time assistent, I need her to work on sessions results simultaneously, but never on the same results at the same time. It is just meant to reduce my workload, by letting her do the pre-selecting and pre-editing. We can now only work on one computer, and I would like to divide the work over two computers.

• 7. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                      dj_paige Level 9

So, here's the method.

In Lightroom, select the photos that you want your co-worker to work on. Then, use the command File->Export as Catalog, select "Include Negatives", and give a name for this new catalog file. Move everything thus created to the other computer, and your co-worker can do whatever she needs to do in this temporary small catalog. Then, when she has completed her work, you move the catalog file back to the first computer (no need to move/copy the photos back) and then select File->Import from Another Catalog.

• 8. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                        Yvonne van Dalen Level 1

ok, this sounds so simple, that I am thrilled! I am going to test this first thing tomorrow!!! eh, I meant Monday... I'll get back to you on this, but thanks again so much for your advice!

• 9. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                          dj_paige Level 9

Yes test it on a small bunch of relatively unimportant photos (if all of your photos are "important" and none are relatively un-important, then try taking a few pictures of the bottle of ketchup in your fridge)

• 10. Re: Can I share my lightroom preferences with a co-worker
                            Yvonne van Dalen Level 1

hi again @dj_paige: just couldn't help myself and had to go and test your work-aroud straight away and it totally works, so thank you so much for helping me out again! this new way of working will totally improve our workflow on a day-to-day basis. kudoz!