13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 1:32 PM by dj_paige

Batch deleting images

gharr8

I have a lot of pictures on my camera card. I should have formated the card before I took more pictures yesterday.Now when I opened the card in my PC Widow 7, LIghtroom displayed all the pics on the camera card. Over 300. I only want the last 35 from yesterday. How can I remove the unwanted pics and videos with out having to uncheck each one at a time?  Thanks...

• 1. Re: Batch deleting images
          dj_paige Level 9

Click on Uncheck All. Click on the first image you want to import, shift-click on the last image you want to import (assuming the ones you want are consecutive), then click on any one of the check boxes (this will check all selected). Then import. After you import and making backups, you can delete all of the photos on the card by formatting the card.

• 2. Re: Batch deleting images
            gharr8 Level 1

That worked. Thank you. I wasn't highlighting in the center of the image. Much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Batch deleting images
              gharr8 Level 1

I'm having so many problems with Lightroom 5.7, it's driving me crazy. There seems to be no support other than this forum. Could I ask you a few questions?thanks

• 4. Re: Batch deleting images
                dj_paige Level 9

That's fine, go ahead

• 5. Re: Batch deleting images
                  gharr8 Level 1

I have no idea where to start. I took 85 pictures on a golf course. As I said earlier, I hadn't cleared the SDS and there were 333 pics on it. So I made a file on the desk top and copied just the pictures from the golf course to the file, just the pics I wanted. Now I am trying to import the images from that file into lightroom. I go thru the steps to find the folder, click on import and there they are. But the are dark, seemingly grayed out. I can do nothing with them. If I go to develop and Prior to this, I had inserted the SDS card into the lap top and when opening LR, had imported the entire 333 photos from the card, converted to DNG. And then I tried to export them to a file on the desk top. Nothing seemed to work correctly. I went to the file and tried to re import the  DNG pics and everything is now screwed up. I'm sorry this is so unorganised. I sure it makes no sense.

• 6. Re: Batch deleting images
                    dj_paige Level 9

When you import photos, and they are greyed out, it means you have previously imported these photos into Lightroom. There is no need nor is there any benefit to importing them again.

Go to your Library Module and search for these photos (perhaps by file name, or by the folder that they are stored in, or keywords if you have any). Then once you find them, you can do whatever you want with them.

• 7. Re: Batch deleting images
                      gharr8 Level 1

I'm wondering if I need to remove and download LR5.7 again?

• 8. Re: Batch deleting images
                        dj_paige Level 9

gharr8 wrote:

I'm wondering if I need to remove and download LR5.7 again?

No. Total waste of time.

• 9. Re: Batch deleting images
                          gharr8 Level 1

Thanks I'll try.

• 10. Re: Batch deleting images
                            gharr8 Level 1

In the Library, there are 2101 images under "All Photographs". I opened that, went to the bottom,the very end, there they were. The photo's I'd wanted. And then I highlighted one and went to develop and a popup surfaced that read "The file could not be found"

• 11. Re: Batch deleting images
                              dj_paige Level 9

This is a different problem which needs to be fixed via these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

in the future, you shouldn't move, rename or delete your photos outside of Lightroom, that's what causes this particular problem

• 12. Re: Batch deleting images
                                gharr8 Level 1

Thanks, I've got the pictures back. That was a big help.

I've had LR for 3 years now and have never gotten the importing down. I've watched numerous how to videos for the basic getting started but am missing something. I had this problem with images disappearing or not opening before.I have one idea that might cause or contribute to the problem. After downloading the raw image/files (?) from the sds card, I copy to DNG and then I export them to a file on the desktop. I thought that was where I went to retrieve them later to develop or view and remove the unwanted one.Do you possibly have a link to some training? I've watched Julie Kostner's basic how to get started and some others. Somewhere I'm missing the boat...You've done a great job. Thanks

• 13. Re: Batch deleting images
                                  dj_paige Level 9

After downloading the raw image/files (?) from the sds card, I copy to DNG and then I export them to a file on the desktop. I thought that was where I went to retrieve them later to develop or view and remove the unwanted one.

This seems unnecessary, and if I understand it properly, could be a problem. In particular, there is no need to export a photo "to a file on the desktop" immediately after import (and in fact such an export immediately after import is a complete waste of time and possible cause of confusion).

When you go to retrieve a photo at a later time, you use the copy that is already imported into your Lightroom library. You work in Lightroom, you find the file in Lightroom, you do not find the file in your operating system. You do not have multiple copies (except for a backup on a different hard disk). You shouldn't have to remove the "unwanted one".