20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 3:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Widescreen Elements 13

Treyj96 Level 1

How do I give my videos a widescreen/anamorphic look in elements 13(includes 2 black bars on top and bottom)?

• 1. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

What computer operating system is involved?

What are the properties of your source media...Frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio?

What is your intended export?

ATR

• 2. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
            Treyj96 Level 1

I am using windows 7. I shot the video at 1920x1080 at 24frames per second. The file extension on my computer says ".MOV". I don't know the pixel aspect ratio or if its interlaced or progressive.

I want it to look like this: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&biw=1360&bih=631&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=anamorphic+ widescreen&oq=anamorphic+wid&g…

I know how to do it premier pro but it was a trial version which is expired and when i bought elements I didn't think the difference would be so big and I thought I would be able to do it in this version. Do you know what I can do to fix this problem?

• 3. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

The principle should be the same Premiere Elements - Premiere Pro....

The idea would be to export your 16:9 source to 4:3 with the appropriate pixel dimensions.

Let us try this

1. Import your source 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second into a Premiere Elements 13 that has the project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

2. For AVCHD.mp4, go to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

and set the preset for MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24 but customize that preset under its Advanced Button/Video Tab

Keys would be

Profile = High

Level = 5.1

Frame Width = 1920

Frame Height = 1440

Field Order = Progressive

Aspect = Square Pixels (1.0)

You could also apply the same to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime for a H.264.mov file.

Always check the players for options that may take care of the matter for you.

Please let me know if any of the above worked for you. I road tested this in the QuickTime player and got the black borders at top and bottom (letterbox look) as per request.

ATR

• 4. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

In reflection, easiest thing to do, if there is no player option to go letterbox for viewing, just setup the project as suggested for import...

forget about the export to with 4:3 settings, and just crop the top and bottom of the video while in the Edit area monitor for the letterbox effect and then

export that the usual way for a 16:9 export.

See fx Effects/Transform/Crop.

ATR

• 5. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                  Treyj96 Level 1

Thank you for help. I tried #2 and the bars do show up at the bottom but it doesn't stretch all the way to the left and right

• 6. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

Thanks for the update.

What player did you use for the 4:3 export?

You said that you could get the faux widescreen that you wanted using Premiere Pro. Do you recall how you did that, and, if so, could you outline

some of the steps used in that case?

ATR

• 7. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                      Treyj96 Level 1

When the video is exported it plays through windows. all my media does.

I found out how to do the wide screen through this video: Film Tutorials: Color Correction and Widescreen - YouTube

It starts 10 minutes into the video and when I used it it worked for me the way I wanted it to. It looks like the example at the end of the video

• 8. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

Thanks for the reply.

I am having problems with my Internet connection again and YouTube video playback.

Based on what I have been able to see of that YouTube video so far...the user has two approaches in going for the 2:25:l versus 16:9 look at the start.

1. Cropping the top and bottom of the 1920 x 1080 16:9 image to give the faux widescreen look. Then exporting that with 1920 x 1080 16:9 settings.

If the export format is compatible with any one of these players, the playback should be in the faux widescreen look. This would seem the quickest way to get the job done in Premiere Elements 13 - apply crop (see fx Effects/Transform/Crop) to your Timeline video and adjust the top and bottom % via Applied Effects Tab/ Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel expanded).....this should give you the view that you seek, using Windows Media Player, QuickTime, and VLC player.

2. Use of a Sequence with what seems to be frame setting of 1920 x 817. There are no "Sequences" in Premiere Elements (any version). Sequence is a Premiere Pro feature. The Premiere Elements project presets are 4:3 or 16:9. But, you could create a 1920 x 817 project preset if you wanted to based on the following approach of creating project preset with other than 4:3 or 16:9 frame aspect ratio.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/08/pe12-project-preset-with-219-display.html

I am now working through the details of this user's "preferred way" with the sequence 1920 x 817 and what is done with that sequence.

Do you have any problems getting the faux widescreen look with the cropping method?

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

I am still having difficulties getting to the rest of the YouTube video.

But, have something for you to try if you do not want to do the quick and easy crop approach mentioned.

Import your video 1920 x 1080p24 with Adobe's DSLR 1080p24 project preset and export it with the essentials being

Frame Width 1920 pixels

Frame Height 816 pixels

Aspect Square Pixels

Scan Type Progressive

Does that play back in your 16:9 based players with the faux widescreen look?

It might be quicker if you told me in words in the thread what you did in Premiere Pro with the 1920 x 817 sequence mentioned and what you

set for the export settings.

Thanks.

ATR

I will keep trying to view the whole YouTube video.

• 10. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                            Treyj96 Level 1

In the video he made a new sequence but in premier elements it would be like making a new project. He selected 1080p 30 preset and customized it by making it 1920x817. Then he rendered the video 1920x1080. I tried the second method you gave me and followed he exact steps in the link and the video came out looking like this. Sorry if it came out sideways. Im not sure if the image can rotate but you see what I mean right? And Thats the video in full screen. When i put it on full for the video i did in pro and it was working there were no bars on the side. Thats the problem I have been having every time trying to export a video with look im looking forproduct.jpg

• 11. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

Let me fine tune the steps to make sure we are in sync on them. You should be getting what you seek using the following.

1. Set up the Premiere Elements 13 project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

To be sure, set that project preset manually before you import your file which is 1920 x 1080p24

a. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

b. In Change settings, change the project preset to the above...OK out of there

c. In the new project dialog that appears next, make sure that there is a check mark next to the option "Force

Selected Project Settings on this Project"...OK out of there.

d. Back in the Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get your video into

Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

2. Export...Let us go with

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24 which will customized next to MP4 H.264 1920 x 816 p24 under

the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

The Export Settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab should look like

letterbox.JPG

When you open this Export Settings area, you will probably see a chain link in the box to the right

of the Frame Width and Frame Height area. Click on the chain link to remove it. This will

enable you to type in the 1920 x 816 values.

Please play the exported AVCHD.mp4 in the players mentioned and then let me know if you get

that faux widescreen look that you want.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                Treyj96 Level 1

I did EXACTLY what you told me to do and same result. I appreciate all your help and patience with me but I have no clue why this keeps happening. I even tried using different videos.

• 13. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

I am assuming that at least one of your players is Windows Media Player. What version?

Also, what is the native resolution of your computer monitor?

We will find the answer. Do not give up.

ATR

• 14. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                    Treyj96 Level 1

Ya. I tried windows and quick time. The version of Windows media player I have is 12.0.7601.18526 and im not sure of my Monitor screen resolutionbecause my monitor is broken and I have to hook it up to my TV via HDMI. And your help is greatly appreciated you have no idea

• 15. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

Please let us set the following as a baseline.

Premiere Elements 13...project preset 1920 x 1080p30

Crop the top and bottom of the Timeline video....top about 12% and bottom by about 15%.

Export that Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then play back file in Windows Media Player using the

TV Monitor - HDMI connect to the computer as well as the computer's built in monitor.....duplicated view in Display settings for dual monitors.

When both viewings are set for Full Screen, do you get the view in these monitors of black border at top and black border at bottom?

When you play the video with Windows Media Player, do you have black borders only at the top and bottom of the video.

Please try to find the display resolution set for the monitors involved. See Control Panel display area.

More later.

ATR

• 16. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                        Treyj96 Level 1

the cropped work but sometimes the people get cut out by the bars and the motion postion control isn't fixing it for me like how it was in premier pro

• 17. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

I think that your results got to my Inbox Email Notifications before they got to this thread. This is what I just found there

the cropped work but sometimes the people get cut out by the bars and the motion position control isn't fixing it for me like how it was in premier pro

I have some more testing to do with computer monitors and TV HDMI connections to computers and all this.

My Internet connection malfunctions are messing me up on watching that video closer.

I need to make the distinction between the video tutorial

a. Setting the export frame rate at 1920 x 817

versus

b. Setting the Aspect Ratio and depending on the player to adjust the 1920 x 1080 export accordingly to get your cinematic look when the file reaches

the player.

Since you have been doing the Premiere Pro work before, maybe you could clarify that for me, that is, the actual Premiere Pro export settings.

Are all your viewings done at Full Screen?

More later.

ATR

• 18. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                            Treyj96 Level 1

Yes All my viewings are done in full screen. When I uploaded my video to YouTube (the one I did in pro) I still got the same full screen look in the regular YouTube player. In the Video he made the new sequence or in our case project under the avchd 1080p 30fps and changed the H&W from 1920x1080 to 1920x817.Then he saved the preset. Then he exported the video under a preset called "HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality". Checked render at maximum depth box. Bitrate Encoding CBR=24. Checked Use maximum render quality box at the bottom.

• 19. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                              Treyj96 Level 1

In the HDTV settings there's a lot more options under advanced. like being able to change the aspect ratio. I'm playing around with settings to see if i get anything

• 20. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

There are funny things going on in the posting sequence. I am seeing posts in my Inbox Email Notifications that are not appearing in the thread until after I post or much later.

Here is where I am at. I think that I may have a counterpart Premiere Elements workflow for your "Widescreen Elements 13" based on prior Premiere Pro work.

I have come to the conclusion that the author of that video is importing 1080p, establishing the black borders with crop or preset modification possible with sequence concept of Premiere Pro, and then export as 1080p.

So...

Set up Premiere Elements 13 with the DSLR 1080p project preset.

When the project opens, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark after Default Scale to Frame Size.

Then import your 1080p source using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file, select Interpret Footage.

In Interpret Footage dialog, go to the Pixel Aspect Ratio section, dot the Conform To:, and set the Conform To: to

HD Anamorphic 16:9 (1.333).

Drag your video from Project Assets to the Expert workspace Timeline. Click on that Edit area monitor.

Note the bounding box that appears around the image in the monitor...it extends beyond the area of the frame.

With your mouse cursor, use a handle to zoom out so that the whole image fits in the Edit area monitor space for 1920 x 1080.

You should end up seeing your video with black borders just at the top and bottom of the frame.

Export that Timeline, using a 1080p export. View the export at Full Screen on your player(s). Did it do the job?

It has worked for me. I am going to see what the export looks like on YouTube 16:9 player.

More later.

ATR

• 21. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

Update of post 20

Based on details in post 20, just did the upload to YouTube where there are black borders presenting just at the top and bottom of the frame.

Looking forward to seeing if that worked for you.

ATR

• 22. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                                    Treyj96 Level 1

SUCCESS!!!! It took 4 days but we made it. Thank you very much!!!

• 23. Re: Widescreen Elements 13
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Treyj96

Great, great news of "SUCCESS!!!!"

Thanks for staying with the evolution and exchange of thoughts on the matter.

Best wishes.

ATR