6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 5:46 AM by dissidently

Adjust size of rectangle from edge?

dissidently Level 1

Is it possible to adjust the size properties of a Rectangle from a point that is not the middle of the rectangle?

I'm not asking about scaling, I'm asking about changing these two properties:

Rectangle>Rectangle Path> Size X,Y

• 1. Re: Adjust size of rectangle from edge?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No. But you can easily apply a simple expression linket to the position to create the illusion.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Re: Adjust size of rectangle from edge?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This expression will make the rectangle size change lock to the center of the left edge of the rectangle when you adjust the rectangle size:

newX = content("Rectangle 1").content("Rectangle Path 1").size[0]/2;

newY = content("Rectangle 1").content("Rectangle Path 1").size[1]/2;

[newX, value[1]]

Change the last line to this to expand from the center of the right edge;

[-newX, value[1]]

This is the moves the expansion to the top center:

[value[0], newY]

And this to the top left corner:

[newX, newY]

You'll get the hang of it. Expressions are easy once you figure out the syntax.

Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 5.39.35 AM.png

• 3. Re: Re: Adjust size of rectangle from edge?
              dissidently Level 1

This is FAR better than the system I came up with to get the same result. WAY more elegant and clean.

It always seemed odd to me, though, that once I figured out how to link the size to either edge as I scaled it, that someone hadn't decided to put in normal handles for the size changing of rectangles and other shapes...

And the anchor systems for shape layers are a truly masterful work of primitivity.

I think I'm starting to get a feel for what After Effects is to motion graphics... it's an IDE with some primitive visual controls for their drawing engine. And it's slightly odd drawing engine built on some truly archaic ideas of graphical creation that requires constant head banging to understand the archaic limitations of its approaches.

Given that drawing APIs have moved forward, I wonder if there's any chance Adobe might, too....

• 4. Re: Adjust size of rectangle from edge?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could also convert the rectangle shape layer to a Bezier Path and use the standard path transform tools to do your animation. If you want to use a solid with a mask then you can just set the anchor point to the left edge and use scale. There are a bunch of ways to do just about everything in AE. It just takes a little experience to know how to set up your project so that it's easy to edit and change. Just like Photoshop or Illustrator, the UI becomes a little better with each new generation of the product. Sometimes the "improvements" are a step in the wrong direction for many users, but all in all, once you understand how transform controls and anchor points and the logic behind them, things are pretty easy to understand. I find AE a lot easier to wrap my head around than C4D or Maya. Don't even get me started on AutoCad....

• 5. Re: Adjust size of rectangle from edge?
                  bogiesan Level 4

dissidently wrote:

I think I'm starting to get a feel for what After Effects is to motion graphics... it's an IDE with some primitive visual controls for their drawing engine. And it's slightly odd drawing engine built on some truly archaic ideas of graphical creation that requires constant head banging to understand the archaic limitations of its approaches.

Ah, sarcasm again. I don't know what IDE is.

But I know that, after using AE for twenty years, I like its drawing tools far more than I do Illustrator's or Photoshop's. My easiest pathway to creative path creation is to ask an Illustrator expert to draw it for me. They have no experience in motion graphics so I do all of their animation and video production. In return, they create wonderful art for my other projects. Quid pro quo. Because there's only so much room in my head, long ago I decided I shall specialize in photography, editing, animation. I leave artwork creation, music composition, and 3D modeling to experts in those fields.

• 6. Re: Adjust size of rectangle from edge?
                    dissidently Level 1

Not surprised you find the AE drawing better than Illustrator's and Photoshop's. It is. Nothing is worse than Illustrator's "drawing" tools. It's just entrenched.