5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2014 7:46 PM by A.T. Romano

I just bought photoshop and premier elements and I can not get it to run on Windows 8.1 Can anybody help?

Really Depressed

I just bought Adobe photoshop and premier elements and although photoshop and organizer run premiere will not.

I have installed it twice with no errors and it still will not run. 

OS Name

Microsoft Windows 8.1
      Version6.3.9600 Build 9600
      Other OS DescriptionNot Available
      OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
      System NameCHARLIES_LAPTOP
      System ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
      System ModelHP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
      System Typex64-based PC
      System SKUG6U51UA#ABA
      ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/DateInsyde F.12, 8/18/2014
      SMBIOS Version2.8
      Embedded Controller Version77.38
      BIOS ModeUEFI
      BaseBoard ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
      BaseBoard ModelNot Available
      BaseBoard NameBase Board
      Platform RoleMobile
      Secure Boot StateOn
      PCR7 ConfigurationBinding Not Possible
      Windows DirectoryC:\Windows
      System DirectoryC:\Windows\system32
      Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume2
      LocaleUnited States
      Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.3.9600.17196"
      User NameCharlies_Laptop\CHARLIES_LAPTOP\charl_000
      Time ZoneCentral Standard Time
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)12.0 GB
      Total Physical Memory11.9 GB
      Available Physical Memory8.76 GB
      Total Virtual Memory23.9 GB
      Available Virtual Memory20.6 GB
      Page File Space12.0 GB
      Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
      Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode ExtensionsYes
      Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation ExtensionsYes
      Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in FirmwareNo
      Hyper-V - Data Execution ProtectionYes
        • 1. Re: I just bought photoshop and premier elements and I can not get it to run on Windows 8.1 Can anybody help?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

really

Let us go through the usual drill on this...Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit)

1. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Go to Local Disk C/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements 13, find the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, right click it, select and apply Run As Administrator from the pop up menu that appears, and then double click that file to determine if you can open the program from it.

2. Does the problem issue exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

3. Are you working with a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

4. How many video cards/graphics cards do you find under Device Manager/Display Adapters, what card name, driver date and up to date version number?

When you say it will not run...how far into the program do you get...

a. no further than the Welcome Screen and Video/New Project

b. other

If non of the above gets us anywhere, we may go for

a. deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists

and, if necessary, then

b. the uninstall, free ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Details to follow if needed.

We will be watching for your results and then decide what next.

ATR

• 2. Re: I just bought photoshop and premier elements and I can not get it to run on Windows 8.1 Can anybody help?
            Really Depressed Level 1

1. I did try to run as administrator and no change

2. I was able to disable the firewall but unable to disable the antivirus. I am using MS defender but do not know how to turn it off.

3. Not using a pen just a Bluetooth mouse

4. I have the nvidia Ge Force 840M as my default video card and Intel graphics card as the other

5. When I say it will not run it will not even start. I get the swirling blue thing and then it just seems to act as if I did not activate the icon at all.

Thank you for helping me I am a little lost.

• 3. Re: I just bought photoshop and premier elements and I can not get it to run on Windows 8.1 Can anybody help?
              Really Depressed Level 1

I uninstalled Adobe Primere, rebooted and left the firewall off this time. I then reinstalled the software with the same issue. I did however get a microsoft yellow and blue shield so I checked my access to the program and I only had Read and Write access while the administrator had the whole set. I added the remaining permissions to my access and it still will not run. Not sure where to go from here.

Thank you 

• 4. Re: I just bought photoshop and premier elements and I can not get it to run on Windows 8.1 Can anybody help?
                Really Depressed Level 1

I may have had a bit of a breakthrough. I keep all my media on a backup drive. after setting the locations in widows to my backup drive location Premiere started working. There are conflicts in Organizer but for now I am good. I will research other issues later. Thanks for all the help.

• 5. Re: I just bought photoshop and premier elements and I can not get it to run on Windows 8.1 Can anybody help?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Really

Thanks for following through the troubleshooting and coming to a promising break through.

Did you install the program to the default location on the Local Disk C or customize to another non C location?

What is this backup drive - an internal drive other than C or a USB external hard drive? You might want to check out

your computer drives set up in Computer/Manage/Disc Management. Also, during the course of your projects, periodically check the

drive letter for the drive where your project source media are stored in order to make sure the drive letter is not changing.

As for the Elements Organizer 13, there are several issues on format support being discussed in recent threads here...some

no video in thumbnail, some video and no audio at play back with the Elements Organizer player....lots being sorted out. If we need to go deeper, then please supply information about the properties of the files (video compression, audio compression, file extension etc). Also let us know what your computer

players are. MPEG2 and Windows Media Player are Microsoft issues in Windows 8 and 8.1.

You are doing a great job of troubleshooting. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR