5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2014 7:21 PM by Jao vdL

Ordering Prints from LR Raw/DNG

Illusiumd11 Level 1

I've got a boatload of raw/dng photos I need to print. What's a good workflow for ordering prints from an online service?

Say something like Shutterfly? Looks like there's a plugin for LR. I'd like to avoid mass converting to Jpeg/srgb... is there any service that takes a raw/proPhoto rgb? Or is that overkill?

• 1. Re: Ordering Prints from LR Raw/DNG
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

None that I am aware of. Raw files, even DNG files are very large, and need a raw converter to convert them in order to use them. The best thing to do is export JPEG copies. It's a straightforward process and you can do all the conversion at once.

• 2. Re: Ordering Prints from LR Raw/DNG
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

In lightroom you can set up to print in the Print Module then instead of printing to your printer you select "print to file with the settings of your choice. Then copy the files to deliver to the print service. Lightroom will do all the appropriate resizing, noise reduction and sharpening,

• 3. Re: Ordering Prints from LR Raw/DNG
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would use a plugin if available for the service you want... no files to export and then delete..

• 4. Re: Ordering Prints from LR Raw/DNG
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JPG highest quality, full resolution with sRGB should be good enough for a place like Shutterfly, unless they gprovide formats for special paper, then you can convert to those, but be sure you specify they have a custom profile and no auto-adjustments are to be performed, otherwise things won’t look right since they’re likely to assume sRGB for the profile.

Raw cannot have ProPhotoRGB associated with it since it is raw sensor data not RGB data.  And a raw file would be interpreted by the printing company using whatever software and settings they wanted, completely ignoring whatever you’d done in Lightroom.

What gives you the idea that you need to send raw photos, or even ProPhotoRGB photos?  Is the prints going to be in glowing or fluorescent ink.  I can’t imagine any other reason to use ProPhotoRGB as an image profile desitined for printed output since paper usually has a lower gamut than your monitor, even.   You use ProPhotoRGB with 16-bit TIFs for intermedia or archival perposes.  You wouldn’t want to use ProPhotoRGB with an 8-bit format or as a final output format for printed or display purposes since the gamut of the paper or display would be much smaller than ProPhotoRGB.  Normally you use ProPhotoRGB as an intermediate format for images that will be adjusted further.

• 5. Re: Ordering Prints from LR Raw/DNG
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You absolutely do not want to send anything to a printing service in raw or DNG. Even if they know what to do with them (extremely unlikely), you'll have a very large chance that they will mess it up anyway and print your images without any of your develop settings. What you should send is jpeg files of the correct size for your prints. Generally this means doing an export if there is no plugin, but even with a plugin, it just generates jpegs that it uploads internally, so you really don't save any time. Usuallythe best is to render at 300 ppi of the final print size. So if you print 4x6, you want 1200x1800 pixels. You want to output sharpen for the type of paper, and you want to use a quality of around 80. Higher is a waste of bits and a waste of your time waiting for the uploads to finish. You really don't need to do that at all (I tested this extensively), and lower you will start seeing artifacts in the prints. For color space, generally sRGB will work well, but if the service provides ICC profiles, use those. Notice however that many services require you to strip the icc profile from your file for best results and that cannot be done in Lightroom easily. In that case, just use sRGB and forget about it.