5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 10:32 AM by DMH79

Graphics Card Requirements

bryced87 Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to find a used iMac I can buy but can't seem to find any that list the same graphic cards as these.

• GeForce GT 650M
      • GeForce GT 750M
      • GeForce GT 755M
      • GeForce GTX 675MX
      • GeForce GTX 680
      • GeForce GTX 680MX
      • GeForce GTX 775M
      • GeForce GTX 780M
      • Quadro K5000
      • Intel Iris Graphics 5100
      • Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200

Does it have to be these exactly? I have found an iMac that has a ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1GB video RAM. I also found an iMac that has an AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512 MB VRAM. There is also an iMac that has a GeForce GTX 660M. Can someone please help me determine whether anyone of the following macs I just listed will work with Premiere as well as the other applications that come with CC?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Graphics Card Requirements
          DMH79 Level 2

No, you don't NEED a computer with those GPUs on that list. That list is actually not updated much and really it's just a list of one's that Adobe tested in-house.  All three of the iMacs you listed will work with Premiere CC. The real advantage you'll see is if you have a GPU with 1gb or more of VRAM. That's when you can take advantage of GPU acceleration which speeds up everything when editing. The only one you listed with 1gb of VRAM is that first AMD card and that's kinda old. 2010 I think. For reasons I can't get into here, the gtx cards will have an advantage over AMD if you can get one of the many that have 1gb or more of VRAM (2012 and 2013 imacs). So I'd look for that. The 660M has 512mb I believe. Maybe look for the 675MX or 680MX which would both be awesome. Or, if that's not in the budget the AMD cards from the 2011 iMacs are fine just go for one over 1gb of VRAM. Not sure what your budget is but I'd really recommend trying to get over that 1gb VRAM hump for Premiere. And don't worry about that list. They don't test every card.   Oh, and you may wanna take your future hardware questions to the Premiere Pro hardware forum as they are super knowledgeable there (granted there's a LOT more PC users on there than Mac users but a few of us will always try to help when possible) Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Graphics Card Requirements
            bryced87 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. Where is the Premiere Pro Hardware forum? Wouldn't I want GPU acceleration? I currently have a macbook pro 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo 4 Gigs of Ram. It's already slow when I try to edit on certain applications.

• 3. Re: Graphics Card Requirements
              DMH79 Level 2

The Hardware forum for PPro is under "Sub-Communities" link on the Premiere forum page. The direct link is here: Hardware Forum

Yes, you would want GPU acceleration and pretty much any GPU with 1GB or more of VRAM will enable GPU acceleration on Premiere Pro CC. With AMD cards, that is through OpenCL...and with nVidia cards that is through CUDA. Yes, CUDA is supposed to be a bit better than OpenCL when using Premiere, but it's close enough not to worry. I had a 2011 iMac with the AMD 6970M card with 1GB of VRAM and even though it wasn't on the "list" it worked great and I was able to take advantage of GPU acceleration. Now, newer cards with more VRAM are even faster/smoother/better but it again comes down to budget. But they all take advantage of GPU acceleration (which you enable in the Project Settings when you open Premiere Pro...otherwise it uses "Software Only" which is okay, but much slower) 

Your macbook pro probably doesn't have a GPU card that has enough VRAM so Premiere is running in Software Only mode which like I said is a more choppy experience. Also, your 4GB of ram are pretty low. Really 8gb is minimum that you'd want and the more the better. Spend a bit more now and you'll be happy later, especially if editing is something you do a lot.

• 4. Re: Graphics Card Requirements
                bryced87 Level 1

I guess I'm confused how I find out what computer has GPU. Does it say so under About this Mac?

• 5. Re: Graphics Card Requirements
                  DMH79 Level 2

bryced87 wrote:

I guess I'm confused how I find out what computer has GPU. Does it say so under About this Mac?

I assume you mean what GPU your computer has, right? Yes, you can find that under About this Mac and in system info look for something about Graphics. I don't have a mac in front of me right now to give you exact guidance. Again, all those iMacs will work with Premiere, you'll just notice a performance boost when you are able to utilize GPU Acceleration (which basically just requires a GPU with 1GB VRAM or more).