4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 6:58 PM by acarberry

Unable to finalize in any format

acarberry

I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 12. I recently created a short, 5 minute project on it for school, but I am unable to finalize my movie in any format. Any time I try, an export error message pops up stating "error compiling movie" and "unknown error." I have no idea what else to try, and I desperately need to export this project for school. Help!!

• 1. Re: Unable to finalize in any format
          A.T. Romano Level 7

acarberry

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update. If not, please do so.

Error compiling movie points to flaw(s) in the construction of the Timeline content.

Please read the following Adobe document on this type of issue

"Error compiling movie" during render or export

Be sure to expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline to look for leftovers such as fragments of clips or clips themselves that you

thought that you had deleted. Some of these leftovers present as thin black vertical lines scattered in the tracks in the Timeline content. Press the End key of the computer main keyboard, and note where it stops/ends. It should end at the end of the last

clip on the Timeline. If not and it goes beyond, that is indication that there is debris of some sort where it stop...that debris needs to be deleted.

We can also look for gaps in the Timeline and any problems in the placement of transitions.

Next...we can explore the project preset, the properties of the source media, and the export settings that you are using for this project.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next based on your results and further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unable to finalize in any format
            acarberry Level 1

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an Intel Core i3 processor. It has Windows 8. I'm trying to save the movie as a Windowe Media file, but none of the other exports seem to work either. So far I've tried updating to 12.1, deleting leftovers and possible spaces, and going through all of the suggested steps on the document you sent, and nothing has worked. The same error message continues to pop up. The only unusual thing I've picked up on is when I open this particular project, a window opens wanting me to locate a file called "Business Title 7," and I don't know what this is. I haven't been able to locate this file or delete it if this is causing a problem.

• 3. Re: Unable to finalize in any format
              A.T. Romano Level 7

acarberry

The Business Title_7.tga is an old essentially unresolved issue.

PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file

At this point I do not believe it is related to your compiling error. Are you attempting to use Instant Movie themes in this project?

Let us try a mini test run...

Timeline content of several jpg stills

Exported using

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = 720 x 480 4x3 29.97

Does that export go to completion to give you a Windows Media Video 9.wmv file?

Also, if you rebuild your project in a new project, do you run into the same compiling error in the export?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to finalize in any format
                acarberry Level 1

No, I am not using instant movie themes. I tried this test run, and it both completed the export and resulted in a Wondows Media Video wmv file.

I also constructed a project with about 30 seconds worth of some of the files and elements in my other project, and this was able to complete finalizing. I'm hoping to avoid having to reconstruct the movie in a new project since it's pretty complicated and took a really long time to put together, and I don't have a lot of time on my hands. If this is absolutely my only option, what might have caused my having to resort to that, and how can I prevent it from happening to me again in the future (I'll be using this program a lot, usually under time restraints, and can't afford to keep remaking projects)?