0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2007 11:57 AM by MaWeiTao

Buttons intermittently not appearing

MaWeiTao
      I'm in an extremely difficult situation here. I haven't the slightest clue what to do.

I designed a Flash timeline for a client using Flash 8. For each entry there's a button for more information which loads a new SWF file using the loadMovie command. That works fine. The loaded movie displays a series of photographs and some basic scrollable text using my own actionscript. This movie also includes a simple button allowing the user to close the loaded window. That performs a simple removeMovieClip function. This all works flawlessly on every machine I've tested it on. This includes both Macs and PCs, including a fairly old PC.

However, the client has been reporting that occassionally that "close" button doesn't appear, causing them to get stuck with that open window in front of the timeline. Apparently everything else in that key frame appears and works fine, including the photos and the text. Apparently they click to bring load one of these movies, it goes through the preloader just fine, but when it gets to that frame everything but the button is there. This is a basic button symbol. It's placed in a layer above everything else, so there's no chance of it getting hidden.

And what's complicated matters here is that it doesn't happen consistently for them. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not. An even greater complication is that I've never experience the problem despite exhaustive testing and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the code.

I was originally exporting these files as Flash 8 and started exporting them as flash 6 to see if it helped. It's made no difference at all. So I was wondering if it's another one of these odd bugs with Flash itself. Perhaps if I save down these files to MX 2004 and then export them it will resolve the problem.

I'm currently in the process of testing that, but I can't say I'm happy with the prospect of performing trial-and-error troubleshooting with my client. Even worse it's quite difficult to troubleshoot a supposed bug that I haven't experience at all and am unable to duplicate. I was hoping someone here might have some insight into this. It sure would be appreciated.