21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 4:38 AM by dj_paige

importing

FarmerKrach Level 1

Lightroom will neither import pictures from my camera card nor my iPhone.  I only get the message, "...because they cannot be read."  What do I do?

• 1. Re: importing
          dj_paige Level 9

There are dozens of threads in this forum that explain how to fix this problem.

• 2. Re: importing
            FarmerKrach Level 1

dj, I have tried many of them to no avail.  Do you have one to suggest that will work 9 out of 10 times?  I am brand new to Lightroom, just installing it yesterday and have followed all the step by step procedures already.

• 3. Re: importing
              dj_paige Level 9

Could you state the details of what you tried?

• 4. Re: importing
                FarmerKrach Level 1

I have tried listening to several Youtubes detailing the details of the step by step order to set the import up, but do not see any specific answers on this blog site. dj, do you see something incorrect  from my screen shots?Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 2.52.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-29 at 2.54.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-29 at 2.54.55 PM.png

• 5. Re: importing
                  dj_paige Level 9

You do not have WRITE permission to the Destination directory, which is Users\Family\2014\December 29

Change your permissions

• 6. Re: importing
                    FarmerKrach Level 1

I presume that I am trying to put the pictures into its own separate folder called "family?"  Where is the WRITE "permission" box that I need to check?  By the way, it was really easy to keep fifty thousand pictures in my many different, Aperture library folders; will I be able to generate and continually place pictures into different folders like I used to in Aperture? I'm also not really sure how or why all those dates and users names are listed under "Users" because I'm the only one going to use Lightroom? How do I delete them? Thanks very much, dj.

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 3.26.07 PM.png

• 7. Re: importing
                      dj_paige Level 9

Yes, you can put the photos in any folder you want. You are in complete control of where the photos should be stored. The dated folders are shown because you instructed Lightroom to do that (or accepted a default to do that). You need to learn how the Destination panel works so your photos will wind up in the folders you want them to  be in. I suggest you find a tutorial on Importing. Or read the on-line documentation.

Permissions are set in your operating system. Go to your favorite search engine and search for

Change permissions Mac

• 8. Re: importing
                        FarmerKrach Level 1

dj, I have put myself into the Permissions as you see in this photo, but it is still not letting me import pictures.Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 8.38.36 PM.png

• 9. Re: importing
                          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is the Folders Family, 2014 and December 29 you want to check the permissions of. It is the permissions of the folders not Lightroom that need changing.

• 10. Re: importing
                            FarmerKrach Level 1

Thanks, Geoff, but I guess I don't know how to get there since those folders are not in my finder:  Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 9.24.14 PM.png

• 11. Re: importing

You are looking in the wrong place on your disk...

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 7.08.42 pm copy.png

I hope this helps!!

• 12. Re: importing
                                FarmerKrach Level 1

Pretty sure that's where I am, Geoff, and my "permissions" look like they are in place:  Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.55.09 PM.png

• 13. Re: importing

No, it is not Lightroom but the folder/s where the files are going.

They are Users> Family and Family> 2014 and the ones inside 2014.

By the way you have way too much stuff on your desktop…..

• 14. Re: importing
                                    dj_paige Level 9

If you do not have a Users\Family directory, then you need to make sure that Users has Write permission ... (or ... as a second option: change the directory specified in Lightroom to somewhere else that does have Write permission ... but you'd have to know where the directories are that have Write permission)

• 15. Re: importing

dj_paige wrote:

If you do not have a Users\Family directory, then you need to make sure that Users has Write permission ... (or ... as a second option: change the directory specified in Lightroom to somewhere else that does have Write permission ... but you'd have to know where the directories are that have Write permission)

What is your point here dj?? There is a Users/Family/2014 folder structure, it shows in the Import Menu shown above...

• 16. Re: importing
                                        dj_paige Level 9

It does not show in the screen capture of the Mac Finder

• 17. Re: importing

dj_paige wrote:

It does not show in the screen capture of the Mac Finder

Of course not Family comes after Desktop in an alphabetical list.....

Hope you have had a good year and the next surpasses it.....

Was just checking I hadn't missed something...

• 18. Re: importing
                                            dj_paige Level 9

But Geoff...

You are looking for Users\rickkrach\Family which would come below Desktop... But Lightroom is trying to find and use Users \ Family,  and that doesn't exist according to the screen capture of the Finder. 

• 19. Re: importing
                                              FarmerKrach Level 1

I agree, Geoff, it is not on my screen shot. The only "f" names following it are "fair" and "flowers."

• 20. Re: importing

dj_paige wrote:

But Geoff...

You are looking for Users\rickkrach\Family which would come below Desktop... But Lightroom is trying to find and use Users \ Family,  and that doesn't exist according to the screen capture of the Finder.

Not so .... you cannot see it as rickrack is expanded, the sort we do not know, so Family may well be below and that is most likely as the screen shot of the Lr Import Destination does show it in a sort order we do know....

Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 4.13.36 pm.png

• 21. Re: importing

Paige you have confused the issue unnecessarily and unbelievably.... I'll leave you to sort out your mess.

• 22. Re: importing
                                                    dj_paige Level 9

Family cannot be below Guest in the screen capture of the Mac Finder, F comes before G; you are looking for subfolder Users\rickkrach\Family but that's not where Lightroom is looking, Lightroom is looking in Users\Family, these are not the same.

• 23. Re: importing
                                                      dj_paige Level 9

FarmerKrach wrote:

I agree, Geoff, it is not on my screen shot. The only "f" names following it are "fair" and "flowers."

If its not on your screenshot, what happens if you change the permissions on folder "Users"? Can you import then?