4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2006 7:09 AM by jenagreen

can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

jenagreen
      I'm using Studio 8 in Mac OS X (10.4.6). I've got some pdfs uploaded to my site that are accessible through links one one of the pages. I had to make changes to the pdfs and resave them. I thought I uploaded them, but when I test the links it downloads the old version and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I did.

This may be a dumb way to do things, but I saved the new version and then dragged into the server file in user-->Library-->Application Support-->Macromedia-->Dreamweaver 8-->Configuration-->ServerConnections-->unnamed server-->public_html (this is where all the other files are). When I go back into Dreamweaver and open the pdf listed in the Files window on the right (by control-clicking and selecting Open with-->Acrobat) the correct version appears. I thought maybe there was a delay or something, but I've waited and still the old version is what you get from the site.

Is there an easier way to do this, or is something wrong maybe? Many thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
          Level 7

> This may be a dumb way to do things, but I saved the new version and then
          > dragged into the server file in user-->Library-->Application
          > Support-->Macromedia-->Dreamweaver

Put the files in this Site's Local Site Folder.
          If unsure of where you've specified this to be, look in this site definition
          (dw menu-->Sites-->Manage or Edit Sites)

If that path you've given above above is correct, it's wrong....

• 2. Re: can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
            jenagreen Level 1
            Hi - thanks very much for this. Is it possible that I don't have a root folder? The only folder I have for these site files is the one I mentioned above. I am able to make updates and everything - and I got those pdfs there in the first place somehow (don't remember how!). So what would be the process by which I would normally go about replacing a pdf with an updated version?
            • 3. Re: can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
              Level 7
              do you have a Site defined for this?

if no- define one. See f1 help.

if yes- go to Sites-->Manage Sites-->This site-->Edit

What is in the line for Local site folder?

• 4. Re: can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
                jenagreen Level 1
                Hi - thanks again. I looked, but strangely I don't have a field for local root folder. Anyway - I got it to work eventually by updating the hyperlinks to the pdfs in the page. I clicked the little folder next to the link field, selected the pdf which was on the desktop and then it said ' do you want me to copy this to your folder' (or something - can you tell I'm a novice?) and that was that. Anyway, thanks, Alan, for your help.